So sad about Joe.  He had had a brain tumor and a number of operations.

He did my taxes last year and a big favor.  Seemed fairly healthy,
making plans for a trip to the woods.  Was going out on a long bike
ride.  We had long talks about local politics,  KPFK,  Sunset House, etc.

We also had a serious of living in North Hollywood and he advertised
in Change Links for his Income Tax Service.

Funny guy always in good humor.  Had fists full of medications he was taking.

This year he sent out a notice that he was giving his customers to
another company
I called him in March when he said he had an another operation a few
weeks earlier and had hopes that it worked.  Didn't sound to good but
again helpful

-------------------------------------
 From Ed Pearl

I called him in March when he said he had an another operation a few
weeks earlier and had hopes that it worked.  Didn't sound to good but
again helpful
Hi.  Please bear with my off-the-top connecting with all the
subjects of this mailing, starting with Joe Hacker, my good
friend who passed away Tuesday night after a six year battle
with cancer.  I met Joe in 1990, when Sunset Hall was struggling
to survive.  They asked Pete Seeger to perform and he agreed
on condition I would produce it.  I'd been his So. Cal. producer
since the 1960's, he wanted to have it done professionally and
knew I'd accept.  So I did, coordinating a committee working to
save Sunset Hall.  Joe was part of that, had been a devotee of
my club, the Ash Grove, and we became good friends.  He
helped me in many of my concerts since and acted in his own
profession of accounting.  He performed that service for The
So. California Library, Sunset Hall, the Lancer after-school
program, and so many other progressive institutions in this area,
as well as for the many campaigns he supported, electoral and
otherwise.  He was also the regular tax preparer for hundreds of
movement people, all for the fairest of prices, or gratis.

Those of you who knew him know I'm not exaggerating in any of
the above.  Many of us will be at the Sunset Hall Garden Party,
which was honoring Joe anyway, and will now pay a different level
of tribute to one of the kindest, most giving persons we've ever
known.  If Pete were around here I'd ask him to return the favor,
and know he'd do so.  Please join us.

Ed

John Johnson
Change-Links Progressive Newspaper
[EMAIL PROTECTED] or [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://change-links.org
Subscribe to our list server. Email  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
(818) 782-1412
Cell (818) 681-7448.

===

http://us.click.yahoo.com/97bhrC/LGxNAA/yQLSAA/7gSolB/TM