http://www.informationclearinghouse.info/article17740.htm

Blair's Lies and Linguistic Manipulations

My Dad used to call people like Blair a 'twerp'. But I fear he is a vicious
little man

By Robert Fisk

05/19/07 "The Independent" -- -- By great good fortune, I studied
linguistics at Lancaster University. Indeed, I read the books of Noam
Chomsky, many years before he became a good friend of mine; to be honest,
when I read his work, I thought Chomsky was dead. What a pleasure,
therefore, to discover that he shared my world - and my views on Lord Blair
of Kut al-Amara.

But I have to admit a moment of regret this weekend. Lord Blair is going
from us. His self-serving memoirs will, of course, remind us of his God-like
view of himself (and, heaven spare me, we share the same publishers) but I
doubt if Chomsky's "foregrounded elements" will save him. A "foregrounded
element" was something unusual, a phrase placed in such a way that it warned
us of a lie to come.

Take George Tenet, the CIA Ernest Borgnine lookalike who sat behind Colin
Powell when the US Secretary of State was uttering all those lies about
weapons of mass destruction in February of 2003. It now turns out that
George is mightily upset with the White House. He didn't refer to evidence
of WMD as a "slam dunk", he says - a basketball phrase which I don't need to
explain. He was talking about the ability of the US government to persuade
the American people to go to war based on these lies. In other words, he
wasn't lying to the American president. He was only lying to the American
people.

I was struck by all this last month when I came across one of Blair's lies
in my local Beirut paper. Sandwiched beneath a headline which read "Saudi
reforms lose momentum" - surely one of the more extraordinarily unnecessary
stories in the Arab press - it quoted our dear Prime Minister as saying that
he was very angry that a review committee had prevented him from deporting
two Algerians home because their government represented a "different
political system". The "foregrounded" element, of course, is the word
"different". This is the word that contains the lie. For the reason why the
committee declined to return these men to their country was not - as Blair
well knew - because Algeria possesses a "different" political system but
because the Algerian "system" allows it to torture to death its prisoners.

I have myself interviewed Algerian policemen and women who have become
perverted by their witness of torture: one policewoman told me how she now
loves horror films because they remind her of the repulsive torture she had
to watch at the Chateauneuf police station in Algiers - where prisoners had
water pumped into their anuses until they died. I still remember the
spiteful and abusive letter that the Algerian ambassador to London wrote to
The Independent, sneering at Saida Kheroui whose foot was broken under
torture. She was a "terrorist", this man announced. This is the "different"
political system that Blair was referring to. Ms Kheroui, by the way, never
emerged from prison. She was murdered by her torturers.

Blair knows that the Algerian security forces rape women to death. He knows
this. So how does he dare lie about the "different" political system which
allows police officers to rape women? We Europeans now make a habit of lying
about this. Take the Belgian government. It deported Bouasria Ben Othman to
Algeria on 15 July 1996 on the grounds that he would not be in danger if he
was returned to his country. He died in police custody at Moustaganem. A
"different" political system indeed.

And now I have before me Blair's repulsive "goodbye" speech to the British
people, uttered at Sedgefield. Putting the country first didn't mean "doing
the right thing according to conventional wisdom" (Chomsky foregrounded
element: conventional) or the "prevailing consensus: (Chomsky foregrounded
element: prevailing). It meant "what you genuinely believe to be right"
(Chomsky foregrounded element: genuinely). Lord Blair of Kut al-Amara wanted
to stand "shoulder to shoulder" with Britain's oldest ally, which he assumed
to be the United States. (It is actually Portugal, but no matter.) "I did so
out of belief," he told us. Foregrounded element: belief.

Am I alone in being repulsed by this? "Politics may be the art of the
possible (foregrounded element: may) but, at least in life, give the
impossible a go." What does this mean? Is Blair adopting sainthood as a
means to an end? "Hand on heart, I did what I thought was right." Excuse me?
Is that Blair's message to the families of all those dead soldiers - and to
the families of all those thousands of dead Iraqis? It has been an "honor"
to "serve" Britain, this man tells us. What gall.

Yes, I must acknowledge Northern Ireland. If only Blair had kept to this
achievement. If only he had accepted that his role was to end 800 years of
the Anglo-Irish conflict. But no. He wanted to be our Saviour - and he
allowed George Bush to do such things as Oliver Cromwell would find quite
normal. Torture. Murder. Rape.

My Dad used to call people like Blair a "twerp" which, I think, meant a
pregnant earwig. But Blair is not a twerp. I very much fear he is a vicious
little man. And I can only recall Cromwell's statement to the Rump
Parliament in 1653, repeated - with such wisdom - by Leo Amery to
Chamberlain in 1940: "You have sat too long here for any good you have been
doing. Depart, I say, and let us have done with you. In the name of God,
 go."

© 2007 Independent News and Media Limited

***

From: Jeff Blankfort
Sent: Sunday, May 20, 2007 9:42 PM
Subject: Time Out for Humor


I just found this in my email box and thought I would share a few laughs
with you.-JB

Subject: Bill


It doesn't matter what party you belong to - this is hilarious. From a show
on Canadian TV, there was a black comedian who said he misses Bill Clinton.

"Yep, that's right - I miss Bill Clinton! He was the closest thing we ev er
got to having a black man as President. Number 1 - He played the sax .
Number 2 - He smoked weed. Number 3 - He had his way with ugly white women.
Even now? Look at him... his wife works, and he doesn't! And, he gets a
check from the government every month. Manufacturers announced today that
they will be stocking America 's shelves this week with " Clinton Soup," in
honor of one of the nations' distinguished men. It consists primarily of a
weenie in hot water.

Chrysler Corporation is adding a new car to its line to honor Bill Clinton.
The Dodge Drafter will be built in Canada .
When asked what he thought about foreign affairs, Clinton replied, "I don't
know, I never had one."

The Clinton revised judicial oath: "I solemnly swear to tell the truth as I
know it, the whole truth as I believe it to be, and nothing but what I think
you need to know."

Clinton will be recorded in history as the only President to do Hanky Panky
between the Bushes."
... ya gotta love it!

I Miss Bill Clinton





---------------------------------------------------------------------------
LAAMN: Los Angeles Alternative Media Network
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Unsubscribe: <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Subscribe: <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Digest: <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Help: <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Post: <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Archive1: <http://www.egroups.com/messages/laamn>
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Archive2: <http://www.mail-archive.com/[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/laamn/

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/laamn/join
    (Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
    mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] 
    mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
    [EMAIL PROTECTED]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
 

Reply via email to