From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: [NYTr] Alterman: Death and denial, death and denial...

[See original for complete links]

The Guardian Blogs - Jul 13, 2007
http://commentisfree.guardian.co.uk/eric_alterman/2007/07/death_and_denial_death_and_den.html

Death and denial, death and denial...

by Eric Alterman

More  craziness from the surge's supporters and an administration that
would rather send more soldiers off to die than admit a mistake.

I've studied the neocons pretty closely ever since I wrote my
undergraduate college thesis on their origins 25 years ago. But there
are still a number of things I suppose I will never understand about
how and why they do what they do, and first among these is the amazing
ability to simply ignore reality, no matter what the cost.

This proclivity - I almost called it a "talent" - is most impressively
displayed with regard to what they have successfully named "the surge,"
even though it is nothing more than an escalation of a failed war
policy.

In yesterday's Washington Post, not only did Bob Woodward report that
the Bush administration ignored the fact that CIA Director Michael V.
Hayden told the Iraq Study Group that "inability of the [Iraqi]
government to govern seems irreversible," adding that he could not
"point to any milestone or checkpoint where we can turn this thing
around,"  but also the fact that Thomas Fingar, the top intelligence
analyst in the office of the national intelligence director, argues
that "the surge...  has not yet had a sufficient effect on the
violence, [and levels of violence] have not yet been reduced
significantly."

And yet yesterday morning, speaking from the comfort of a Fox News
studio with absolutely no access to the information available to
Fingar, William Kristol blithely announced, "The truth is if you look
concretely on the ground in Iraq, the military situation is better than
anyone expected. Better than David Petraeus expected. Better than those
of us here at home who supported the surge expected six months
ago.  ...  And we're going to win the war. I think we're going to win
this war if we just don't lose our nerve here at home."

He added later to New York-based radio host Brian Lehrer:

"I think the media is understating the military progress that has been
pretty astounding, I would say as a supporter of the surge. If you look
at the documents that were made to argue for it, that say what could be
done in six or seven months, Petraeus has done more actually; pretty
amazing. I think the most important political progress has been
happening on the ground not in the legislature in Baghdad, which is the
flipping of the Sunni tribes in Anbar province and the beginning of
splitting Shia away from the Iranian- backed extremists. So, I think
Petraeus is doing a pretty fantastic job."

This morning, I see in a column by Kristol's protege, New York Times
neocon David Brooks, that the problem with our Iraq policy is that
"Harry Reid, the Senate majority leader, is doing everything he can to
prevent a bipartisan consensus.."

That's funny.  I would have thought the problem was the fact that the
policy is being conducted by an administration that has done just about
everything imaginable to screw up Iraq, and even a few things that were
unimaginable.

They are the kind of people who would prefer to throw good money after
bad - or in this case, live soldiers after dead - to save themselves the
political inconvenience of admitting a mistake.

After all, not only did they reject the face-saving mechanisms of the
Iraq Study Group, we now know that they were informed by the head of
the CIA - a general as well - that their ambition was already hopeless.

Still they persist with the combination of happy talk about how well
things are going on the one hand as their supporters engage in a
campaign of character assassination toward anyone who feels compelled
to deal with reality on the other.

On and on it goes. Our president continues to assert against every
available shred of evidence that we are fighting those who attacked us
on September 11 in Iraq instead of enemies that he, himself, helped
create with his foolish policies.

The New York Times reports that this may not be accurate without
admitting anywhere in the piece that the newspaper has been helping him
make this phony connection, as its new Public Editor demonstrated with
this hard-hitting column:
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/07/08/opinion/08pubed.html?n=Top%2fOpinion%2fThe%20Public%20Editor

And yet the game goes on. Billions are wasted. Thousands are killed.
The chaos grows and grows and yet at home, nothing changes. The
president lies;  the neocons repeat those lies with even more
enthusiasm; and our soldiers pay for it with their lives.

It's like our country is caught on a merry-go-round of death and
denial, death and denial, death and denial.

***

http://select.nytimes.com/2007/07/15/opinion/15dowd.html?th&emc=th

Who's Sorry Now?

By MAUREEN DOWD
NY Times Op-Ed: July 15, 2007

WASHINGTON

There's not much lately that we'd like to import from China.

Certainly not the yummy steamed buns stuffed with shredded cardboard soaked
in a caustic agent used to make soap. Or the tasty toothpaste laced with an
antifreeze ingredient. Or the scrumptious seafood with a chemical kick. Or
those pet foods with kibbles and bits of poison.

But there is one thing made in China we could use: mea culpas of high
officials.

Zheng Xiaoyu, a top regulator who helped create China's Food and Drug
Administration, accepted $850,000 in bribes from drug companies and became
enmeshed in the mistakes that flooded the market with dangerous drugs.
Before he was executed Tuesday, he wrote a short confession titled "How I
Look on My Mistakes."

"Thinking back on what has happened these years, I start to see the problems
clearly," he wrote in prison. "Why are the friends who gave me money all the
bosses of pharmaceutical companies? Obviously because I was in charge of
drug administration.

"I am confessing here that I loosened self-discipline, ignored the bottom
line," he said, adding that he had to confess his mistakes "as an act of
saving my soul."

We would skip the execution - although perhaps there should be ranch arrest
for W., and Cheney could do community service passing out condoms at Gay
Pride festivals.

But it is time for the lethally inept duo running the country to do some
painstaking self-examination and confession. Just as the Communist Party
helped the late Mr. Zheng compose his thoughts, I volunteer to ghost-write
our leaders' self-scrutiny:

"How I Look on My Mistakes," by George W. Bush

The people trusted me with an important position. I didn't live up to
expectations. I let Dick supersize the executive branch and cast Democrats
as whiners and traitors. Why did I not suspect that Dick might be
power-hungry when he appointed himself vice president? Why did I let him
take over my presidency and fill it up with warmongers? I was so afraid to
be called a wimp, as my father once was, I allowed Dick and Rummy to turn me
into a wimp. I should never have allowed Dick to conspire with energy
lobbyists and steer contracts to Halliburton. A tip-off should have been
when Dick kept giving himself all the same powers that I had. Or when he
outed that pretty lady spy.

If only I had kept my promise to go after the thugs who attacked us on 9/11,
because now I've made Osama and Al Qaeda stronger. I know my false claim
about Al Qaeda's ties with Iraq led to Iraq's being tied down by Al Qaeda. I
see now that my bungled war on terror has created more terror, empowered
Iran and made America less secure. Oh, yeah, and I'm sorry I broke the
military.

I stained the family honor when I ignored the elders of the Iraq Study
Group. I should not have worried that I would be seen as kowtowing to my
dad's friends. The Oval Office is not the right place for a teenage
rebellion.

I should not have picked that dimwit Brownie, and I should have trusted the
gut of anyone besides that goof-off Chertoff to keep the nation safe. And
what was I thinking when I said Harriet Miers should be a Supreme Court
justice? That was loony. I'm sorry I made the surgeon general mention my
name three times on every page of his speeches. That was childish.

How could I have let Dick bring in his best friend, Rummy, my dad's old
nemesis? Dummy Rummy let Osama escape at Tora Bora, messed up the Iraq
occupation and aborted a mission to wipe out top Al Qaeda leaders because he
was protecting Musharraf, who was protecting Al Qaeda in the tribal areas.
Even though I promised to get rid of dictators who helped terrorists, I
ended up embracing a Pakistani dictator who helps terrorists.

I'm embarrassed that the Iraqi Parliament is taking a monthlong vacation in
the middle of my surge. Could I have set a bad example when I rode my bike
in Crawford while New Orleans drowned?

I'm sorry I keep pretending Iraq will get better if we stay longer. It
wasn't very
nice of me to push the surge when I knew it couldn't work. I just wanted to
dump the defeat on my successor.  I wish Hillary the best of luck.

If I had left the gym long enough to read about Algeria or even one of T. E.
Lawrence's Seven Pillars of Wisdom, then I might have not gotten bogged down
in Iraq and let North Korea, China and Russia slide.

Being the Decider is so confusing. I regret stealing the presidency and wish
I could give it back.

"How I Look on My Mistakes," by Dick Cheney

Buzz off.

***

From: John Jones

This is amazing ...  Cheney better burrow deeper into his bunker ....

Arch-conservative Pittsburgh newspaper publisher,  Richard Mellon Scaife,
who funded the Arkansas project and the attack on Clinton,  has now turned
on Bush....his paper's editorial yesterday stated that "the President is
delusional" and questioned his mental stability.  Calls our 'staying the
course'  in Iraq "a prescription for suicide."

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/opinion/archive/s_517212.html

Pittsburgh Tribune-Review
Editorial

The war in Iraq
      Sunday, July 15, 2007

      Perhaps Jack Murtha put it best: The Pennsylvania congressman, among
the first to make the cogent argument that staying the course in Iraq was
the exercise in futility that indeed the war has become, says President Bush
is delusional.

      Based on the president's recent performance, we could not agree more.
"Staying the course" is not simply futile -- it is a prescription for
American suicide.

      We've urged for months to bring our troops home. Now is the time.

      "Progress" has become such a nuanced, parsed and tortured term that it
no longer has meaning.

      The "fledgling" Iraqi government -- how long can it reasonably be
called that? -- consistently has not stepped up to the plate.

      President Bush warns that U.S. withdrawal would risk "mass killings on
a horrific scale."   What do we have today, sir?

      And quite frankly, during last Thursday's news conference, when George
Bush started blathering about "sometimes the decisions you make and the
consequences don't enable you to be loved," we had to question his mental
stability.

      If the president won't do the right thing and end this war, the people
must. The House has voted to withdraw combat troops from Iraq by April. The
Senate must follow suit.

      Our brave troops should take great pride that they rid Iraq of Saddam
Hussein.  And they should have no shame in leaving Iraq.  For it will not
be, in any way, an exercise in tail-tucking and running.

      America has done its job.

      It's time for the Iraqis to do theirs.




---------------------------------------------------------------------------
LAAMN: Los Angeles Alternative Media Network
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Unsubscribe: <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Subscribe: <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Digest: <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Help: <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Post: <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Archive1: <http://www.egroups.com/messages/laamn>
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Archive2: <http://www.mail-archive.com/[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/laamn/

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/laamn/join
    (Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
    mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] 
    mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
    [EMAIL PROTECTED]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
 

Reply via email to