Mr. Ayers¹s Neighborhood

Early this morning, the Obama family voted at the Beulah Shoesmith
Elementary School, in Hyde Park. Long after they had gone, the lawn in front
of the school was filled with reporters, mostly Europeans, filming voters.
While I was talking to an eight-year-old kid dressed as George Washington,
my colleague Peter Slevin, of the Washington Post was across the street,
knocking on the door of someone else who had voted at the Shoesmith School
this morning: William Ayers.
Ayers has avoided reporters ever since he became an election talking point,
scratch pole, and general sensation. But now he answered the door of his
three-story row house, and I joined the discussion. Ayers is sixty-four and
has earrings in both ears. He wore jeans and a Riley T-shirt‹Riley the kid
from "Boondocks." The day was fall-bright and 50th Street was filled with
fallen gold leaves. Ayers waved to neighbors and kids as they went by on the
sidewalk. He was, for the first time in a long while, in an expansive mood,
making clear that, in all the months his name has been at the forefront of
the campaign, he and his wife, Bernardine Dohrn‹ex-leaders of the Weather
Underground and longtime educators and activists in the community‹have been
watching a lot of cable television, not least Fox.

One night, Ayers recalled, he and Dohrn were watching Bill O'Reilly, who was
going on about "discovering" Ayers's 1974 manifesto, "Prairie Fire." ³I had
to laugh,² Ayers said. ³No one read it when it was first issued!² He said
that he laughed, too, when he listened to Sarah Palin¹s descriptions of
Obama ³palling around with terrorists.² In fact, Ayers said that he knew
Obama only slightly: ³I think my relationship with Obama was probably like
that of thousands of others in Chicago and, like millions and millions of
others, I wished I knew him better.²

Ayers said that while he hasn't been bothered by the many threats‹"and I'm
not complaining"‹the calls and e-mails he has received have been "pretty
intense" "I got two threats in one day on the Internet," he said, referring
to an incident that took place last summer when he was sitting in his office
at the University of Illinois-Chicago, where he has taught education for two
decades. "The first one said there was a posse coming to shoot me, and the
second said they were going to kidnap me and water-board me. This friend of
mine, a university cop, said, 'Gosh, I hope the guy who's coming to shoot
you gets here first.'"

Ayers seemed curiously calm and cheerful about the way he had been made an
issue in the campaign. He seemed unbothered to have been part of what he
called "the Swiftboating" process of the 2008 campaign.
³It¹s all guilt by association,² Ayers said. ³They made me into a cartoon
character‹they threw me up onstage just to pummel me. I felt from the
beginning that the Obama campaign had to run the Obama campaign and I have
to run my life.² Ayers said that once his name became part of the campaign
maelstrom he never had any contact with the Obama circle. ³That¹s not my
world,² he said.

As the polling day drew into the late afternoon, the level of security in
Hyde Park matched the level of anticipation. Obama's house, four blocks
away, was surrounded.
Ayers said he felt "a lot of sympathy" for the Reverend Jeremiah Wright,
"who was treated grotesquely and unfairly" by the media. He said that Martin
Luther King Jr. was, in his time, far more radical than Wright: "Wright's a
wimp compared to Martin Luther King‹he had a fiercer tone." Ayers was
referring to the speeches King gave late in his life in opposition to the
Vietnam War and on the subject of economic equality. "Martin Luther King was
not a saint," Ayers said. "He was an angry pilgrim." Ayers said that he had
commiserated recently with yet another former Hyde Park neighbor (and fellow
Little League coach), the Palestinian- American scholar Rashid Khalidi, now
at Columbia University, who has also been a punching bag of the right wing
in recent weeks. Across the street, neighborhood kids chanted "O-ba-ma!
O-ba-ma!" and "Yes we can!" for the cameras. Ayers smiled, looking a little
like a more boomer Fred MacMurray in an episode of "My Three Sons."

Ayers said that he had never meant to imply, in an interview with the Times,
published coincidentally on 9/11, that he somehow wished he and the
Weathermen had committed further acts of violence in the old days. Instead,
he said, ³I wish I had done more, but it doesn't mean I wish we¹d bombed
more shit.² Ayers said that he had never been responsible for violence
against other people and was acting to end a war in Vietnam in which
³thousands of people were being killed every week.²

"While we did claim several extreme acts, they were acts of extreme
radicalism against property," he said. "We killed no one and hurt no one.
Three of our people killed themselves." And yet he was not without regrets.
He mocked one of his earlier books, co-written with Dohrn, saying that,
while it still is reflective of his radical and activist politics today, he
was guilty of ³rhetoric that's juvenile and inflated‹it is what it is.²

³I wish I had been wiser,² Ayers said. ³I wish I had been more effective, I
wish I¹d been more unifying, I wish I¹d been more principled.²

Ayers said that his life hasn't been much altered by recent months, though
he decided to postpone the re-release of his memoir, "Fugitive Days"‹"I
didn't want it to be put in the meat grinder of this moment." Two books he
co-edited will also be republished soon: "City Kids, City Schools" and "City
Kids, City Teachers."

It was late afternoon, and Ayers was talking about his plans for the
evening: he was heading to Grant Park with some friends for what they
assumed would be a mass victory party. "This is an achingly exciting
moment," he said.

As we were getting ready to go, after an hour of front-stoop conversation, a
neighbor came by and ironically reminded Ayers of the event that he and his
wife held for Obama in 1995 when Obama was making his run for the Illinois
state senate. "Everyone, including you, wants to have a coffee here," he
joked to the neighbor. "I don't know what the fuck I'm going to do!"




[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]


------------------------------------

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
LAAMN: Los Angeles Alternative Media Network
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Unsubscribe: <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Subscribe: <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Digest: <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Help: <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Post: <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Archive1: <http://www.egroups.com/messages/laamn>
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Archive2: <http://www.mail-archive.com/[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/laamn/

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/laamn/join
    (Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
    mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] 
    mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
    [EMAIL PROTECTED]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Reply via email to