EX-SURGEON GENERAL: LEGALIZE POT

(above): Joycelyn Elders

"Marijuana is not addictive -- not physically addictive anyway," Elders said.
"Nobody says that marijuana causes violence.

"As we know alcohol can cause much more aggressiveness. You aren't as likely to
hurt someone from using marijuana as you are from using alcohol."

"I think we consume far more dangerous drugs that are legal: cigarette smoking,
nicotine and alcohol," Elders told the New York Times on Friday.

"I feel they cause much more devastating effects physically. We need to lift
the prohibition on marijuana."
"Former US Surgeon General Joycelyn Elders told CNN's Don Lemon Sunday that she
supports the legalization of marijuana.

"Bill Clinton appointed Elders as the United States Surgeon General in 1993.
After leaving her office, she became a professor of pediatric endocrinology at
the University of Arkansas.

"'Many people say [marijuana legalization] would make a bad situation worse,'
Lemon began his interview. 'How do you respond to that?'

"'I don't think much could be worse than the present situation that we have,'
answered Elders, 'when we have the highest number of people in the world being
criminalized, many for non-violent crimes related to marijuana.'

"A recent study found that one in 28 US kids has a parent in prison, as Raw
Story reported.

"In all, 2.7 million US children have parents behind bars, and 'two-thirds of
these children’s parents were incarcerated for non-violent offenses,' the study
notes.

"The study also finds that the US now has a prison population larger than the
35 largest European countries combined. The incarceration rate in the US is
five times that of Great Britain -- 753 inmates per 100,000 people, compared to
151 inmates in the UK. Even the British incarceration rate is high compared to
some countries: 96 in France and 88 in Germany, for example."