**
*http://centralamericanpolitics.blogspot.com/
*
   Saturday, December 11, 2010
     Why manipulate immigration numbers in the first
place?<http://centralamericanpolitics.blogspot.com/2010/12/why-manipulate-immigration-numbersin.html>
Mike Munger at Kids Prefer
Cheese<http://mungowitzend.blogspot.com/2010/12/grand-game-immigration-edition.html>and
Greg Weeks at Two
Weeks
Notice<http://weeksnotice.blogspot.com/2010/12/playing-with-immigration-numbers.html>have
commented on a recent
WaPo<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/12/05/AR2010120503230.html?nav=hcmodule&sid=ST2010120503239>story
on the Obama administration's manipulation of immigration numbers.  It
looks like the administration implemented a host of accounting gimmicks to
ensure that last fiscal year's deportation numbers exceeded the previous
one.

But in reaching 392,862 deportations, U.S. Immigration and Customs
Enforcement included more than 19,000 immigrants who had exited the previous
fiscal year, according to agency statistics. ICE also ran a Mexican
repatriation program five weeks longer than ever before, allowing the agency
to count at least 6,500 exits that, without the program, would normally have
been tallied by the U.S. Border Patrol.

I don't really understand why the administration is trying so hard to make
it look like it deported more illegal immigrants in fiscal year 2010 than it
did in fiscal year 2009 (each ends September 30).  Well, I do understand,
but if the administration wanted to be honest present a perfectly reasonable
explanation for why 2010's deportation numbers were down from 2009, it could
just have said that as a result of increased deportations during Obama's
first year in office (as well as increased deportations during
the Bush administration), a slower U.S. economy, and stricter border
enforcement, there are fewer illegal immigrants living in the United States.

The estimated number of illegal immigrants living in the United States
fell from 11.6 million in 2008 to 11.1 million in 2009 (Pew Hispanic Center
estimates <http://pewhispanic.org/files/reports/126.pdf>).    As the total
number of illegal immigrants living in the US declines, we are also likely
to see fewer people deported.

Just take a page from the drug war playbook and say that fewer deportations
is a sign of success.  The when the number of illegal immigrants in the
country increases (again) and a greater number of people are deported
(again), you can call that success.
--------------------

>From Greg Weeks:

 Labels: Book
Review<http://weeksnotice.blogspot.com/search/label/Book%20Review>,
Peru <http://weeksnotice.blogspot.com/search/label/Peru>
 Saturday, December 11, 2010
Playing with immigration
numbers<http://weeksnotice.blogspot.com/2010/12/playing-with-immigration-numbers.html>

Although I share his indignation, I disagree with Mike Munger's conclusion
here<http://mungowitzend.blogspot.com/2010/12/grand-game-immigration-edition.html>
and
my indignation is a bit different.  The story is that ICE officials used
very dubious means (just read the *Washington Post
*article<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/12/05/AR2010120503230.html?nav=hcmodule>,
which is depressing) to reach "record" numbers of deportations.*

But each successive revelation about how ICE "broke" the record is more
preposterous and outrageous. Have we completely lost respect for the basic
rule of law? And then to have these bureaucrats just LIE....Wow. I mean, the
guy who outed the administration's fibs is the head of their own union. The
admin lied about changing the rules, and artificially decreed that the year
would be longer, on both ends. Good lord.

WaPo is hardly some right wing blogger. There actually appears to be
something moving, where fair-minded people on the left are sick and tired of
the Obama shenanigans.

But here is the point I think Mike misses. * Even without the fake counting,
the Obama administration is deporting people in truly massive numbers, with
a commitment that exceeds the Bush administration even if a "record" is not
achieved, which in any case was very close.  The tinkering is therefore at
the margins.  That deportation commitment--which is very expensive but very
easy to get funding for--greatly exceeds its own professed commitment to
immigration reform.

*In other words, I think it is fair to say that many people, myself
included, are tired not so much of shenanigans, *but of policy*.

* Obsession with records is a pet peeve of mine.  I've written before about
how how pervasive that has been in drug interdictions.  Trying to reach
artificial record numbers also helped create the false positives scandal in
Colombia.

Read
more...<http://weeksnotice.blogspot.com/2010/12/playing-with-immigration-numbers.html>