Please forward widely:

At our first two meetings, this effort, (initiated by GrassrootsKPFK,
the coalition that successfully ran a number of candidates for KPFK
local station board committed to human rights and building
communities of resistance), included representatives from Union de
Vecinos, Coalition LA, Anti-Racist Action, LA CAN, the South Central
Farmers, a tenants rights group organizing in Lincoln Heights, the
ISO, La Comite/March 4th Mvmt., the MLK Coalition for Jobs Justice
and Peace, Coffee Party, Venice Justice Committee, Food Not Bombs, LA
Greens, Black students  at LATTC, the Fun Zone, a program for
homeless kids based in the downtown Skid Row area, and others. The
conference aims to be a kind of focused mini-Social Forum,
concentrating on issues of gentrification, foreclosures, evictions,
homelessness, privatization of public housing, and tenants rights, as
well food and water sovereignty and related urban environmental
justice issues. We also want to look at issues of repression and
enforcement, such as gang injunctions, police abuse and other
measures. the conference is aimed at building a working alliance
among people and groups dealing with these issues through grassroots
organizing and direct action strategies as well as confronting
economic and political elites. We have tentatively set the conference
for the last weekend in March at LA Trade Technical College downtown,
to include educational and cultural expressions as well as concrete
skills-sharing workshops and opportunities for people to network and
build ongoing community work.

We discussed the general political framework or situation in which we
are trying to build the conference, including the history of
conscious "spatial deconcentration" (shifting poor people of color
from the central city to the periphery) spelled out by the Trilateral
Commission in response to urban insurrections and liberation
struggles in the 60s and 70s, as well as the current economic crisis
impacting on their plans for gentrification (eg collapse of the
housing market, the necessity for the state to raid CRA funds to
balance the budget, etc).

The third, follow-up meeting is set for Saturday, Feb. 1, at 10 AM
(until noon) at the Southern California Library for Social Studies
and Research, 6120 S. Vermont. We are still seeking to invite
additional new forces to get in on the ground floor of planning the
conference. We assigned people to come in with plans for an
outreach/media strategy as well as a fundraising proposal/budgetary
ideas to the next meeting. We agreed that translastion at least
from/to English/Spanish would be necessary and possibly other
languages (eg Korean) should be available at the conference.