We  of the Southern California Immigration Coalition, for the last several
months have been protesting the LA Police Department and LA Sheriffs so called
dui check points where they actually confiscate poor peoples cars (for 30
days), primarily in the Mexican, Chicano and Black communities, of people who
do not have drivers licenses, usually cus they are so called undocumented. Very
little dui activity. We have done actions in ELA, Boyle Heights, South LA, and
South West LA. We have won a partial VICTORY, see below the LAPD change of
tactics starting tonight, they will allow another licensed driver to take drive
the car. This was a collective effort of a real and broad based coalition of
organizations and activists. This shows what the power of grassroots direct
organizing and actions can do. We will be out there again this Saturday, at 6
pm at Manchester and Broadway, join us and read the LAPD press release below.

Carlos Montes
Souther California Immigration Coalition
www.immigrationcoalition.org

March 11, 2011

 NR11106rf

Driving-Under-the-Influence Sobriety Checkpoint
Vehicle Impound Protocols Revised

Los Angeles: The Los Angeles Police Department (LAPD) has announced revisions
to the vehicle impound protocols utilized during Driving-Under-the-Influence
(DUI) sobriety checkpoint operations.

The purpose of DUI checkpoints the Department conducts is to detect and
apprehend those in the community who are driving while impaired by alcohol
and/or drugs. DUI checkpoints are proven and effective public safety tools that
save lives.

During DUI checkpoints, officers may encounter unlicensed drivers. When these
situations occur, officers will attempt to identify the registered owner of the
vehicle. If the registered owner is present or is able to respond to the scene
within a reasonable period of time, the vehicle will be released to the
registered owner, providing he or she is a licensed driver. If the registered
owner is unlicensed, the owner may authorize release of the vehicle to a
licensed driver at the scene, and the unlicensed driver will be issued a
citation. When the vehicle cannot be released to a licensed driver, the vehicle
will be impounded.

For further information, please contact the LAPD Media Relations Section at
(213) 486-5910.

=