Tears of Gaza
by Susan Abulhawa / September 19th, 2011
Tears of Gaza by Vibeke Lokkeberg is a documentary film 
that should be watched by every American, to see how Israel spends our 
taxes. Every European should watch it, to see the true face of Israel. 
It should be viewed by every Arab, to renew our resolve not to allow a 
racist nation to wipe Palestine and her children from the map and from 
history.

I had read the stories from Gaza after Israel’s so called “operation 
cast lead”. I had read the reports. I thought I had cried enough then 
not to cry again. But this film went to my heart, stirred everything up, made 
the tears fall and fall and here I am now, with a hollow, spooned 
out hole in my gut because bombs were dropped on sleeping children, 
helicopters rained the death and disfigurement of white phosphorous on 
terrified civilians huddling at a UN school for shelter… and no one is 
doing anything about it.Tears of Gaza lays bare the lies, the cover ups 
and Richard Goldstone’s moral flip flopping. It takes you into the heart of 
Gaza’s tormented landscape to show the truth behind craven and 
mendacious headlines with words that describe Israel’s slaughter as an 
“incursion” or “self defense”. This film shows us these truths through 
the luminous spirits of children. It is not to be missed!

I first heard of Tears of Gaza when Bernard Henri-Levi 
launched an attack against Lokkeberg and me in major newspapers 
throughout Europe. She and I were in touch after that and I was finally 
just able to get hold of the film to watch it. It is a monumentally 
important work. It is beautiful and painful and honest and devastating.

Vibeke Lokkeberg gives us the names, faces, and stories of three 
ordinary Gaza children with extraordinary spirits. We first fall in love with 
Yehya, a 12-year-old boy who wants to become a doctor so he can 
heal people who are shot by Israelis. We see him on a small motorboat, 
lost in the magic of childhood as he is taught to steer the boat. His 
beautiful eyes and brilliant smile during these moments make his tears 
all the harder to bear when he talks about his beloved father. The 
losses that follow in his life are incomprehensible and overwhelming 
merely to hear about.

>>> The rest of the article, and the film, are at 
http://dissidentvoice.org/2011/09/tears-of-gaza-2/#more-37231

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]



------------------------------------

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
LAAMN: Los Angeles Alternative Media Network
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Unsubscribe: <mailto:[email protected]>
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Subscribe: <mailto:[email protected]>
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Digest: <mailto:[email protected]>
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Help: <mailto:[email protected]?subject=laamn>
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Post: <mailto:[email protected]>
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Archive1: <http://www.egroups.com/messages/laamn>
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Archive2: <http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]>
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/laamn/

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/laamn/join
    (Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
    [email protected] 
    [email protected]

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
    [email protected]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Reply via email to