*PROPERLY HONORING A KING

*
**

*At the dedication to the Martin Luther King memorial yesterday, Martin
Luther King III said "**Let's not forget or confuse what he stood for
and died for: love, peace equality jobs, nonviolence, decent housing and
an end to war," and he added that the occupy movements taking place in
the United States and around the world are examples of the kinds of
action that emulate his life's work.
*

*Later, a few blocks away at Freedom Plaza, Princeton Professor Cornel
West agreed that "If Martin Luther King were alive today he would be
right here with us."
*

*As for President Obama putting his face into the middle of the King
celebration, West said it was "Just like having brother Thomas on the
Supreme Court." *

*Then West agreed with the October2011 group that on a day of
celebration of America's great hero of social justice and peace
movements, it was the right thing to do to be arrested, as King was for
opposing American apartheid.  West joined 17 from Freedom Plaza who were
arrested on the steps of the Supreme Court for the serious crime of
holding up a sign (apparently the Supreme Court doesn't recognize the
First Amendment).
*

*Fourteen of the 17 arrested were kept overnight in the DC jail,
including West, according to Kevin Zeese.
*

*The sign Dr. West held up, so terrifying to the Empire, stated
"**Poverty is the Greatest Violence of All," so of course, he had to be
locked away by those who rule the Land of the Free.
*

*WASHINGTON IS THE REAL PROBLEM

*
**

*Backing our position at /LUV News/ that the Freedom Plaza group in
Washington is the tip of the spear for the democracy movement, a poll
out by /The Hill/
<http://thehill.com/polls/187837-the-hill-poll-voters-say-dc-worse-than-wall-street>
this morning shows that "**In the minds of likely voters, Washington,
not Wall Street, is primarily to blame for the financial crisis and the
subsequent recession."
*

*The nerve center for the Wall Street bailouts, corporate welfare,
corporate tax breaks, subsidies, wars and the worst of our social
problems is Washington.*

*SMEARING THE PROTESTERS

*
**
*MJ Rosenberg has an interesting piece at /al Jazeera/ showing that
corporate media pundits are smearing the occupy Wall Street movement
with bogus charges of antisemitism
<http://english.aljazeera.net/indepth/opinion/2011/10/2011101510466829989.html>.
The occupy movement likely has a greater percentage of Jews within it
than there are in the general population, but this is business as usual
by the corporate media on behalf of those who own them, man their board
rooms and provide them ad revenue.
*

**In Los Angeles, a little over a week ago, a group formed by local
religious leaders calling itself the ***Interfaith Communities United
for Justice and Peace (ICUJP) committed an act of civil disobedience by
standing in front of a federal building and singing John Lennon's "Give
Peace a Chance."
*

*This, on the tenth anniversary of the invasion of Afghanistan.  The
group, largely of religious people of various faiths, agreed that our
country should begin to put some of its massive wealth into the growing
homelessness, hunger, unemployment and other critical needs rather than
squandering it on wars.
*

*They were of course arrested.  Had they been high ranking officials
authorizing torture or illegal war, nothing would have happened to
them-- such people, the worst criminals, now run loose in our streets.
*

*There are dozens of similar stories of people calling attention to
peace and being arrested in cities from sea to shining sea, but we chose
this one, ran yesterday at /Truthout,/ because we feel we must put a
spotlight on it-- it is, polling tells us, after all, the will of the
American people to end the wars, so these protesters are only voicing
the view of the vast majority.
*

*Rather than print the story here, we will link to it
<http://www.truth-out.org/arrested-peace/1318538607> so that you can see
all of the pictures of those willing to be arrested and treated like
crap for having the courage to speak the truth in the Land of the Free
--Jack
*

*http://www.truth-out.org/arrested-peace/1318538607
*

****
**
to participate*
**
*email: libert...@hotmail.com*
**
*Tell your friends about /LUV News/ because some people just don't get it*