____________________________________
 (http://www.immigrantsolidarity.org/calendar/Calendar.php)

Please post your  immigrant action _calendar_
(http://www.immigrantsolidarity.org/calendar/EventPublish.php)   items
November 2011 National  Immigrant Solidarity Network Monthly News Digest
and News  Alert!
National Immigrant  Solidarity Network
No Immigrant Bashing! Support Immigrant  Rights!
(http://www.immigrantsolidarity.org/)
e-mail:  _Info@ImmigrantSolidarity.org_
(mailto:i...@immigrantsolidarity.org)
Information about the Network: _FLYER_
(http://www.immigrantsolidarity.org/Flyers/ISN_9.pdf)
Washington D.C.: (202)595-8990
New York:  (212)330-8172
Los Angeles: (213)403-0131
Chicago:  (773)942-2268

Every Donation  Counts! Please Support Us!
Send check pay  to:
National Immigrant Solidarity  Network/AFGJ

National Immigrant Solidarity  Network
P.O. Box 751
South Pasadena, CA 91031-0751
(All  donations are tax deductible)

November 2011 U.S. Immigrant  Alert! Newsletter
Published by National Immigrant  Solidarity Network
Please Our  Newsletter:
_http://www.immigrantsolidarity.org/Newsletter/Nov11.pdf_
(http://www.immigrantsolidarity.org/Newsletter/Nov11.pdf)
[Requires Adobe Acrobat, to download,  go: _http://www.adobe.com_
(http://www.adobe.com/) ]
_Subscribe  to Newsletter_
(http://www.immigrantsolidarity.org/News/Nov11NewsAlert.html#newsletter)  |
_Please  Join Our E-Mail List_
(http://www.immigrantsolidarity.org/News/Nov11NewsAlert.html#email)  | _Please
Donate to
Us!_ (http://www.immigrantsolidarity.org/News/Nov11NewsAlert.html#donate)  |
_Past  NISN Digests_
(http://www.immigrantsolidarity.org/News/Nov11NewsAlert.html#past)

____________________________________
Occupy the Wall Street Occupy the  ICE!!
In This Issue:
1) US Deported 400K+ immigrants (Pg  1)
2) US Expelling US Citizens  (Pg  1)
3) ICE Detainee death  (Pg  3)
4) Court Orders Release of  Key ICE Memorandum  (Pg 3)
5) Counties Vow Not to  Detain Immigrants on ICE’s Behalf  (Pg 4)
6) Somali women  demand justice (Pg 5)
7) LA Car Wash Worker’s Union (Pg 5)
8)  Updates, _Please  Support NISN!_
(http://www.immigrantsolidarity.org/News/Nov11NewsAlert.html#donate)
_Subscribe  the Newsletter!_
(http://www.immigrantsolidarity.org/News/Nov11NewsAlert.html#newsletter)  (Pg
6)
Please  download our latest newsletter:
_http://www.immigrantsolidarity.org/Newsletter/Nov11.pdf_
(http://www.immigrantsolidarity.org/Newsletter/Nov11.pdf)
Message from National Immigrant Solidarity  Network:
Many activist across the county are occupying their community  to protest
again the greedy top 1% and the corrupted U.S. government  policies,
immigrant rights activist should also joining this powerful  movement to occupy
their local Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE)  office to protest
against
their racist anti-immigrant policies!
National Immigrant Solidarity Network
____________________________________

US Deported over 400,000 immigrants for the Past  12 Months, 18,000 to El
Salvador
Voices from El Salvador - October 23, 2011
In the past twelve months, the United States government has deported  over
400,000 immigrants back to their countries of origin, and according  to a
report by El Faro, 95% of the deportees were Latin American. The  number of
deportees has risen by 40,000 since 2008 when almost 350,000  people were
deported from the U.S.
The vast majority (286,893) of the deportees were Mexican. The country
with the second most deportees is Guatemala (33,324). Honduras is third
(23,822) and El Salvador is fourth (18,870). Of those deported, 55% had  been
charged with some crime in the U.S. President Obama ran on a platform  that
included immigration reform as one of his top priorities, but we have  still
seen no action other than a failed attempt at passing the Dream Act.  Certainly
much of the inaction on reform is attributable to the Tea Party  Movement
and the extreme positions taken by the Republican presidential  candidates,
who seem to stumble over each other to take the most extreme  position
possible on immigration enforcement.
According to the online journal Infowars, immigration enforcement has  been
a cash cow for private prisons. There are 2 million immigrants in  private
prisons in the United States. The government pays these prisons  $45-130 per
day for their detention.
Though the political climate is not favorable to immigration reform,  our
politicians need to at least keep trying and we have to keep this  issue on
the front on the front page of the papers.
Let’s Fight Back!
Workers win contract with country's first  unionized car wash
Los Angeles Times - October 25,  2011
Workers at a Southern California car wash have organized and won a  labor
contract with their employers, making it what’s believed to be the  only
unionized car wash in the country. The agreement, to be announced at  a press
conference Tuesday morning, is between some 30 car wash workers  and the
Sikder family, owners of Bonus Car Wash, at 2800 Lincoln Blvd. in  Santa
Monica,
according to the contract The Times has received.
As part of the agreement, the family has agreed to attempt to reopen
Marina Car Wash in Venice, which had closed and had employed another 30
workers,
said Chloe Osmer of the Community Labor Environmental Action  Network
(CLEAN), a group formed to organize car-wash workers.
The contract calls for small pay increases of 2%. Its greater  importance,
Osmer said, is that it calls for owners to abide by state  labor law
regarding car wash working conditions, such as work breaks and  when workers
can
clock in. It also provides a procedure for hearing  workers' grievances and
requires any new owners of the car wash to abide  by the contract.
In the past, workers would be asked to show up  for work at a certain time,
but then not allowed to clock in until  customers began arriving. Work
breaks were also limited, said Eduardo  Tapia, a Bonus worker for five years.
“It was a two-year struggle,” said Tapia. Now, “we have 10 more minutes
of break. We have our water to drink. If they say show up at work at  10:30,
I start work at 10:30.”
Times’ telephone calls to Bonus Car Wash and the Sikder family attorney
requesting comment were not returned.
Counties Vow Not to Detain Immigrants on ICE’s  Behalf
Color Line - October, 2011 Issue
Cooperating with the federal government’s immigration enforcement  agenda
may be mandatory for local law enforcement, but localities are  finding ways
around the federal government’s programs.
Last week northern California’s Santa Clara County became the latest
locality to pass an ordinance that will likely curb the number of its
residents
who get handed over to federal immigration authorities through  the
immigration enforcement program Secure Communities. That same week,
Washington,
D.C. mayor Vincent Gray signed an executive order reaffirming  the rights of
D.C. residents not to get harassed by law enforcement  officers about their
immigration status.
These announcements are the latest in a string of similar moves from  other
counties which have attempted to push back on the federal  government’s
interpretation of its Secure Communities program. S-Comm, as  the initiative is
often called, allows immigration officials to check the  fingerprints of
everyone booked into a local or county jail against  federal immigration
records. Even if the person is wrongfully arrested or  never charged with any
crime, they become subject to deportation if  they’re found to be undocumented.
If a match is found, Immigration and  Customs Enforcement — if it doesn’t
already have an agent posted inside  the local jail — will call local law
enforcement and ask them to detain a  person while ICE agents come down to the
jail to take them away for  detention proceedings.
Santa Clara County has now determined that enforcing such detainers for
ICE are “requests” from the federal government which it’s under no
obligation to carry out. It’s further argued that holding onto people in
county
jails for ICE is a costly financial burden that localities, which  are not
reimbursed by the federal government, should not to have  enforce.
“Today is historic,” said Santa Clara County Supervisor George  Shirakawa
on the day of the vote, New America Media reported. “We now have  the most
progressive policy in this field, and the whole nation will be  looking at us
as Santa Clara County makes it official: we don’t do ICE’s  job.”
Washington, D.C. Mayor Gray signed an executive order that also  promised
to stop the practice of holding onto people for ICE longer than  the legally
mandated 48-hour period, which localities have done as a  courtesy to the
federal agency.
“We’re not going to be instruments of federal law when it comes to
immigration status,” Gray said last week, Washington D.C.’s WTOP  reported.
Such resistance comes as the federal government is pushing harder and
harder to limit states’ attempts to opt out of the once-optional program.  This
past summer, after the governors of Illinois, New York and  Massachusetts
all attempted to opt out or distance their states from the  program, the
Department of Homeland Security (DHS) responded by canceling  every contract it
had drawn up with participating states. DHS argued that  the program was not
optional after all.
The program has been a cornerstone of the Obama administration’s
deportation agenda, and been a primary driver of the administration’s
record-breaking deportation rates.
While the loudest resistance to the program has come from immigrant  rights
advocates, local law enforcement officers have also been vocal in  their
criticisms. Traditionally, immigration violations are civil offenses  that are
not enforced by local law enforcement.

But that’s  no longer the case. The school of thinking among a growing
number of law  enforcement experts, and not just immigrant advocates, is that
forcing  police to help the federal government enforce immigration law breaks
down  trust in a community, and hampers police officers’ ability to do their
 primary job of ensuring public safety.
Partnerships between local law enforcement and immigration officials  “
creates the very distinct impression that police are agents of ICE,” said
Stephen Smith, the organizing director of the Illinois Coalition of  Immigrant
and Refugee Rights. “And if you think the police are agents and  you are part
of a mixed status family, you don’t call the police and you  don’t report
crimes on your own.”
Earlier this summer San Francisco Sheriff Michael Hennessy, citing  exactly
this reasoning, announced that he’d no longer honor ICE detainer  requests
for people who were arrested by not charged with a crime; those  who were
victims of domestic violence and those with no prior criminal  record. Last
month Illinois’ Cook County, where the cost of detaining  people on behalf of
ICE amounts to $15.7 million dollars a year, passed a  local ordinance
similar to Santa Clara County’s. Smith credited local law  enforcement
officials
in Illinois and around the country for providing  leadership on the issue to
get these ordinances passed.
“The unsung heroes in this are the law enforcement officials who are
providing legitimacy to claims that if anything, these programs make us  less
safe, not more safe,” Smith said.
While other attempts to end participation in Secure Communities have  not
been successful, localities have been able to assert this kind of  resistance
so far.
“I think what sheriffs and what localities are doing in setting this  trend
is totally within their right and within their scope of local  jurisdiction,
” said B. Loewe, a spokesperson with the National Day Laborer  Organizing
Network, which is organizing to dismantle Secure Communities.  “How their
agencies respond to [detainer] requests is within their  purview.”
“Jurisdictions who ignore detainers bear the risk of possible dangers  to
public safety,” ICE spokesperson Gillian Christensen said this summer,  US
News reported.
According to Smith, such framing is a disingenuous ploy, since local
ordinances that limit localities’ cooperation with detainer requests do  not
bar
the federal government from picking up the tab for these costs.
Secure Communities is slated to be operational across the entire  country
by 2013.

Please download our latest  newsletter:
_http://www.immigrantsolidarity.org/Newsletter/Nov11.pdf_
(http://www.immigrantsolidarity.org/Newsletter/Nov11.pdf)

Past NISN News Letters
_Winter  2011_
(http://www.immigrantsolidarity.org/News/Winter11NewsAlert.html)  | _Summer
2011_
(http://www.immigrantsolidarity.org/News/Summer11NewsAlert.html)  | _Fall
2011_ (http://w
ww.immigrantsolidarity.org/News/Fall11NewsAlert.html)  |
_September  - October 2009_
(http://www.immigrantsolidarity.org/News/Sep-Oct09NewsAlert.html)  | _Spring
2010_
(http://www.immigrantsolidarity.org/News/Spring10NewsAlert.html)  | _Fall
2010_
(http://www.immigrantsolidarity.org/News/Fall10NewsAlert.html)  |
_October-Novermber  10_
(http://www.immigrantsolidarity.org/News/Oct-Nov10NewsAlert.html)
_May  - June 2009_
(http://www.immigrantsolidarity.org/News/May-June09NewsAlert.html)  | _March  -
April 2009_
(http://www.immigrantsolidarity.org/News/March-April09NewsAlert.html)  |
_January  - February 2009_
(http://www.immigrantsolidarity.org/News/Jan-Feb09NewsAlert.html)  | _November
- December
2008_ (http://www.immigrantsolidarity.org/News/Nov-Dec08NewsAlert.html)

____________________________________

Useful Immigrant Resources  on Detention and Deportation
Face Sheet: _Immigration  Detention--Questions and Answers_
(http://www.immigrantsolidarity.org/Documents/detq&aflier.pdf)  (Dec, 2008) by:
_http://www.thepoliticsofimmigration.org_
(http://www.thepoliticsofimmigration.org/)

Thanks for GREAT works from Detention Watch  Network (DWN) to compiled the
following information, please visit DWN  website:
_http://www.detentionwatchnetwork.org_ (http://www.detentionwatchnetwork.org/)

_Tracking  ICE's Enforcement Agenda_
(http://www.immigrantsolidarity.org/Documents/DWN/4.%20Tracking%20ICE%20Enforcement%20Agenda.doc)

_Real  Deal fact sheet on detention_
(http://www.immigrantsolidarity.org/Documents/DWN/5.%20Real%20Deal%20fact%20sheet%20on%20detention.pdf)

_Real  Deal fact sheet on border_
(http://www.immigrantsolidarity.org/Documents/DWN/6.%20Real%20Deal%20fact%20sheet%20on%20border.pdf)

- _From  Raids to Deportation-A Community Resource Kit_
(http://www.immigrantsolidarity.org/Documents/DWN/39.%20From%20Raids%20to%20Deportation--A%20Com
munity%20Resource%20Kit.pdf)
- Know Your Rights in  the Community (_English_
(http://www.immigrantsolidarity.org/Documents/DWN/40.%20Know%20your%20Rights%20in%20Community%20--%20Eng
lish.pdf) ,  _Spanish_
(http://www.immigrantsolidarity.org/Documents/DWN/41.%20Know%20Your%20Rights%20in%20Community%20--%20Spanish.pdf)
 )
-  _Know  Your Rights in Detention_
(http://www.immigrantsolidarity.org/Documents/DWN/42.%20Know%20Your%20Rights%20in%20Detention.pdf)

- _Pre-Raid  Community Safety Plan_
(http://www.immigrantsolidarity.org/Documents/DWN/43.%20Pre%20Raid%20Community%20Safety%20Plan.pdf)

- _Raids  to Deportation Map_
(http://www.immigrantsolidarity.org/Documents/DWN/44.%20Raids%20to%20Deportation%20Map.pdf)

- _Raids  to Deportation Policy Map_
(http://www.immigrantsolidarity.org/Documents/DWN/45.%20Raids%20to%20Deportation%20Policy%20Map.pdf)

More on  Immigration Resource Page
_http://www.immigrantsolidarity.org/resource.htm_
(http://www.immigrantsolidarity.org/resource.htm)
Useful Handouts and Know Your Immigrant  Rights When Marches

Immigrant Marches / Marchas de los Inmigrantes
(By ACLU)

   EN ESPAÑOL
_Acerca de  la Union Americana de Libertades  Civiles_
(http://www.aclu.org/immigrants/espanol/index.html)

Immigrants and their supporters are participating in marches all over  the
country to protest proposed national legislation and to seek justice  for
immigrants. The materials available here provide important information  about
the rights and risks involved for anyone who is planning to  participate in
the ongoing marches.
If government agents question you, it is important to understand your
rights. You should be careful in the way you speak when approached by the
police, FBI, or INS. If you give answers, they can be used against you in  a
criminal, immigration, or civil case.
The ACLU's publications below provide effective and useful guidance in
several languages for many situations. The brochures apprise you of your  legal
rights, recommend how to preserve those rights, and provide guidance  on
how to interact with officials.
IMMIGRATION
_Know Your Rights When Encountering Law Enforcement_
(http://www.aclu.org/pdfs/immigrants/kyr_english.pdf)
|  _Conozca Sus Derechos Frente A Los Agentes Del Orden  Público_
(http://www.aclu.org/pdfs/immigrants/immigration_kyr_spanish.pdf)

ACLU of Massachusetts - Your Rights And  Responsibilities If You Are
Contacted By The Authorities _English_ (http://www.aclum.org/pdf/bustcard.pdf)

_Spanish_ (http://www.aclu-nj.org/downloads/BustcardSpanish.pdf)  |
_Chinese_ (http://www.aclum.org/pdf/bustcard.pdf)

ACLU of  Massachusetts - _What to do  if stopped and questioned about your
immigration status on the street, the  subway, or the bus_
(http://www.aclum.org/pdf/Operation%20Safe%20Commute.pdf)
| _Que  hacer si Usted es interrogado en el tren o autobus acerca de su
estatus  inmigratorio_
(http://www.aclum.org/pdf/Operation_Safe_Commute_SPANISH.pdf)

ACLU of South Carolina - _How  To Deal With A 287(g)_
(http://www.aclu.org/pdfs/immigrants/immigration_287g_english.pdf)
| _Como  Lidiar Con Una 287(g)_
(http://www.aclu.org/pdfs/immigrants/immigration_287g_spanish.pdf)

ACLU of Southern California - _What to Do If Immigration Agents or Police
Stop You While on  Foot, in Your Car, or Come to Your Home_
(http://www.aclu-sc.org/attach/k/kyr_immigration_en.pdf)
| _Qué Hacer Si Agentes de Inmigración o la Policía lo  Paran Mientras Va
Caminando, lo Detienen en su Auto o Vienen a su  Hogar_
(http://www.aclu-sc.org/attach/k/kyr_immigration_sp.pdf)

ACLU of Washington - Brochure for Iraqis: What to  Do If the FBI or Police
Contact You for Questioning _English_
(http://www.aclu-wa.org/detail.cfm?id=200)  | _Arabic_
(http://aclu-wa.org/detail.cfm?id=354)

ACLU of  Washington - _Your  Rights at Checkpoints at Ferry Terminals_
(http://www.aclu-wa.org/library_files/FerryCheckpointsEng%206-08.pdf)
| _Sus  Derechos en Puestos de Control en las Terminales de
Transbordadores_
(http://www.aclu-wa.org/library_files/FerryCheckpointsSpan%206-08.pdf)
LABOR / FREE SPEECH
_Immigrant Protests - What Every Worker Should Know:  _
(http://www.nilc.org/ce/nilc/protests_what_every_worker_should_know.pdf)
| _Manifestaciones de los Inmigrantes - Lo Que Todo  Trabajador Debe Saber_
(http://www.nilc.org/ce/nilc/protests_what_every_worker_should_know_sp.pdf)

PROTESTERS
ACLU of Florida Brochure - _The Rights of Protesters_ (ht
tp://www.aclufl.org/PDFs/right_to_protest_brochure.pdf)
| _Los Derechos de los Manifestantes_
(http://www.aclu.org/pdfs/immigrants/acluprotestbrochuresp1.pdf)
STUDENTS
Washington State - _Student Walkouts and Political Speech at School_
(http://www.aclu.org/pdfs/immigrants/studentwalkouts20060503.pdf)
| _Huelgas Estudiantiles y Expresión Política en las  Escuelas_
(http://www.aclu.org/pdfs/immigrants/studentwalkouts20060503_spanish.pdf)

_California Students: Public School Walk-outs and Free  Speech_
(http://www.aclu-sc.org/attach/k/KYRCAStudentProtestsEnglish.pdf)
| _Estudiantes de California: Marchas o Huelgas y La  Libertad de Expresión
en las Escuelas Públicas_
(http://www.aclu-sc.org/attach/k/KYRCAStudentProtestsSpanish.pdf)

It  will help us pay for the printing costs, as well as funding for the
NISN  projects (additional donations to the NISN is tax  deductible!)

Check pay to:  NISN/AFGJ
National Immigrant Solidarity Network
P.O. Box  751
South Pasadena, CA 91031-0751

- Daily email update:
The National  Immigrant Solidarity Network daily news litserv
to join, visit web:  _http://lists.riseup.net/www/info/isn_
(http://lists.riseup.net/www/info/isn)
or  send e-mail to: _isn-subscr...@lists.riseup.net
_ (mailto:isn-subscr...@lists.riseup.net)

-  Regional listservs:
Asian American Labor Activism Alert!  Listserv
send-e-mail to: _api-la-subscribe@lists.riseup.net_
(mailto:api-la-subscr...@lists.riseup.net)
or  visit: _http://lists.riseup.net/www/info/api-la
_ (http://lists.riseup.net/www/info/api-la)
New  York, New Jersey, Connecticut and Pennsylvania areas immigrant workers
 information and alerts
send e-mail to: _nyc-immigrantalert-subscribe@lists.riseup.net_
(mailto:nyc-immigrantalert-subscr...@lists.riseup.net)   or e-mail request to:
_info@immigrantsolidarity.org_ (mailto:i...@immigrantsolidarity.org)
or  visit: _http://lists.riseup.net/www/info/nyc-immigrantalert_
(http://lists.riseup.net/www/info/nyc-immigrantalert)
Virginia state-wide immigrant  organizing E-mail list
send- e-mail to: _va-immigrantrights-subscribe@lists.riseup.net_
(mailto:va-immigrantrights-subscr...@lists.riseup.net)
or visit:  _https://lists.riseup.net/www/info/va-immigrantrights_
(https://lists.riseup.net/www/info/va-immigrantrights)

US-Mexico  Border Information: No Militarization of Borders! Support
Immigrant  Rights!
send e-mail to: _Border01-subscribe@yahoogroups.com_
(mailto:border01-subscr...@yahoogroups.com)
Immigrant Deportation and Detention Alert!
send  e-mail to: _isn-deportees-subscribe@lists.riseup.net_
(mailto:isn-deportees-subscr...@lists.riseup.net)
Chicago/Midwest/Great Lake Region Immigrant  List
send e-mail to: _chicago-immigrantrights@lists.riseup.net_
(mailto:chicago-immigrantrig...@lists.riseup.net)
or  visit: _https://lists.riseup.net/www/info/chicago-immigrantrights_
(https://lists.riseup.net/www/info/chicago-immigrantrights)

____________________________________
Please Donate to National Immigrant Solidarity  Network!
All Donations Are Tax Deductible!
Make check payable to NISN/AFGJ  and it will be tax deductible! Send your
check to:
National Immigrant  Solidarity Network
P.O. Box 751
South Pasadena, CA  91031-0751
Los Angeles, California 90048
____ $100.00 ____ $  50.00 ____ $ 35.00 ____ Other Amount $___________
($35 or more will  receive 1 year free subscriptions of the Immigration
Alert! Newsletter  Print Edition)
Every Donation Counts! Please Support Us!

==

webpage: _http://www.ImmigrantSolidarity.org_
(http://www.immigrantsolidarity.org/)
e-mail:  _info@ImmigrantSolidarity.org_