I just received this:  It's short, and important. The Occupied movement is
not only a spotlight on what ails us all, but a harbinger of where most of
the rest of us will be in the near future, if we let the light be
extinguished.  -Ed
-----Original Message-----

From: Carol Wells [ <mailto:[email protected]> mailto:[email protected]]

Sent: Saturday, November 26, 2011 11:46 PM

To: [email protected]

Subject: Time to Support Occupy LA!!! 

Friends,

Now is the time to get out and support Occupy Los Angeles! Whether you have
been over to the Los Angeles encampment or not, this is the time to go!!
They need everyone's support NOW!!!

Head over there anytime this weekend or, better yet, go on Sunday night
between 10pm - 2am. Although it is very likely that many of the occupiers
will get arrested, we don't have to if we choose not to. But our presence
will be felt and appreciated simply by being there. We will be witness, and
a non-violent voice in support of the 99%!! Bring songs, dancing bodies,
poetry and stand in solidarity with all that has been happening around the
country!!

And, help to stop the city's eviction of the occupiers from City Hall!

With a huge show of solidarity, we could make it embarrassing and even
impossible for Occupy LA to be broken up! For more information, check out
occupylosangeles.org. and come downtown!

Forward this widely!

The email addresses of the Mayor and members of the L.A. City Council are
below. 

PETITION:

To the Mayor and Los Angeles City Council Members:

I pledge my support for Occupy Los Angeles' right to encamp on the city hall
lawn. Those participating in the encampment are exercising a fundamental
form of expressive speech, protected by the First Amendment of the United
States Constitution. The Occupation itself is a protected form of expression
that effectively calls attention to our need for economic change, social
justice and political accountability. The Occupation will carry on its
mission on the city hall grounds, where it can be seen, heard and felt,
until such wrongs are addressed.

Signed,

Name:

Zip Code:

Email:

Emails of the Mayor & Council Members:

[email protected]

[email protected]

[email protected]

[email protected]

[email protected]

[email protected]

[email protected]

[email protected]

[email protected]

[email protected]

[email protected]

[email protected]

[email protected]

 <mailto:[email protected]> [email protected]

* * *

Hi.  On Friday, 11/2 5, Democracy Now broadcast exemplary presentations at a
recent panel, hosted by The Nation Magazine.  I chose two to send you,
together, as capturing the history, possibilities and problems  of this new
mass movement.  I'll send talks by Naomi Klein, Patrick Bruner and Michael
Moore in another  emailing.

Ed

http://www.democracynow.org/2011/11/25/occupy_everywhere_michael_moore_naomi
_klein

AMY GOODMAN: Today, a Democracy Now! special broadcast. We spend the hour
bringing you the voices of "Occupy Everywhere," a panel hosted by The Nation
magazine, "On the New Politics and Possibilities of the Movement Against
Corporate Power." You’ll hear from the Oscar-winning filmmaker and author
Michael Moore; Rinku Sen of Applied Research Center, publisher of
ColorLines; we also hear from Occupy Wall Street organizer Patrick Bruner;
William Greider, among his books, Who Will Tell the People: The Betrayal of
American Democracy; and Naomi Klein, the best-selling author of The Shock
Doctrine: The Rise of Disaster Capitalism. The Nation magazine’s executive
editor, Richard Kim, moderated the event, which was held at New School
University in New York City. Richard Kim spoke first.

AMY GOODMAN: We continue with William Greider. He is a contributor to The
Nation magazine, author of Who Will Tell the People: The Betrayal of
American Democracy, and most recently, Come Home, America: The Rise and Fall
(and Redeeming Promise) of Our Country. William Greider.

WILLIAM GREIDER: The American pulse for democracy, the thirst for equality,
for freedom, is a little like an underground river that has run underneath
the surfaces of American history from the beginning. And it rarely is
visible, at least to the established powers. It gets misled, deflected,
stymied in different ways. But it continues these ideals, the original
promise of what this country could be. And I told myself, "OK, I don’t know
if anything changes now. It doesn’t seem to be happening. But I’m going
to-I’m going to be in that stream with the others, the historic stream, and
do what I can and at least keep the candle lit and aloft." And that’s a
good thing to do with your life. Then, sometime, often unpredictably, this
underground river gathers force, and it breaks through to the surface, and
everything is changed. And you can read American history and find those
moments, which changed everything and opened a vista of a different country.
I think that’s what we’re experiencing right now. I literally mean that.
And I think it’s-we know it’s a high-risk enterprise to try to build an
authentic social movement. Many arise and fail, or get crushed. And the
ideas are literally pushed back out of the public square. But they go
back-they continue somehow and maybe come back a generation or two
generations later. So we have to-I think we have to take that sort of long
view of what we’re doing.

I feel-because I know a lot of that history, I see an ironic resemblance
between what’s happening right now and the Populist movement of the late
19th century-1870s, 1880s, 1890s. And I’ll tell you some of why I feel
that. These were farmers, in the South and Midwest mostly, who were being
crushed. I mean, literally stripped of their property and turned into
peasants by pretty much the same interests we’re up against today: the rise
of industrial capitalism, the money trust, the bankers, and just the hard
prejudices of American society. And yet they rose among themselves. They
knew-they knew this about their situation: nobody was on their side,
certainly not the moneyed classes and the economic system, and not the
government either. So if they were going to change anything, it had to come
out of themselves. And they started having meetings, first in Texas, and the
idea spread. And it’s a long, wonderful story. I urge you to check out
Lawrence Goodwyn’s history, called The Populist Moment. I promise you will
be inspired about the capacity of American potential, and you will also
understand how hard it is to do what we’re trying to do. And Larry Goodwyn
is a student, a stern student, of social movements. Nothing sentimental
about the man. And he understands how hard it is to make this happen. And
he’s described in great detail-I won’t go through here-the stages of
development that keep a movement centered on what it really wants to be and
in fighting off the opposing forces. Think about what we’re hearing from
these folks in the Occupy zones. It’s very similar. We have to do this for
ourselves. In fact, we intend to do it for ourselves. Very old American
virtue, self-reliance. And it should be the core of what we are building
here now. I think the Populist failed in concrete terms, but they set out to
solve the problems for themselves, and they built a series of ingenious
co-operatives, agricultural co-operatives mostly, but also credit and so
forth, which were ultimately destroyed by the moneyed classes, bankers. But
out of that, they developed bigger ideas-I mean, really bigger ideas-about
how to change this country, and then lost politically. But I would ask-we
should ask ourselves-what are we building? What is it we can build that’s
parallel to that co-operative movement? And I think the-I think we’re
already seeing the answer to that in McPherson Square in Washington and on
Wall Street and dozens of other places. The paper I worked for many years
ago has got a competitor now in Washington called The Occupied Washington
Post, and it pleases me greatly to see that. But now-and they had a - The
Occupied Washington Post has a poster-type headline: "We Stand with the
Majority, For Human Needs, Not Corporate Greed." That’s a pretty good start
on a program, I think. And-but I think the-I think what we’re seeing now,
in our construction, is beginning, believe it or not, to convince even the
Washington Post. They have-if you check it out, in the style section today,
they have a marvelous map of the McPherson Square encampment, done by hand
with a kind of artist’s style and little labels of this and that and so
forth. It’s quite beautiful. And accompanying it is one of their critics,
an architecture critic, with can only be called a sincere appreciation of
what he sees in McPherson Square. And it’s the model of how this society
could be organized. That’s-it’s-people are going to all say this: "What a
powerful teacher! Takes my breath away." Now, in my last book, Come Home,
America, oddly titled, I sort of playfully fantasized that what America
needs is what we could call clubs for America, lots of them, millions of
them, really, people just coming together and having conversations. And one
of my young friends, who’s a labor organizer, said, "Well, who’s going to
organize this?" And I kind of shrugged and said, "The people will." And he
looked at me and rolled his eyes, like, you know, that’s nice. And we moved
on to other subjects. But guess what. That’s who’s organizing this thing:
the people.

RICHARD KIM: Yeah.

WILLIAM GREIDER: And isn’t there-I mean-

RICHARD KIM: So, Bill?

WILLIAM GREIDER: There’s something miraculous about that. And Larry
Goodwyn, who’s taught me so much, says this is hard to do. Movements fail.
Most do not reach their goals. But they begin in what he likes to call
democratic conversation. And I don’t even ask him what he means by that,
because he has said to me-not always, but on a couple of occasions - "We
have just had a democratic conversation." And I think, "Goddamn" -

* * *

RICHARD KIM:  But Rinku, to you, Patrick has talked about how this has sort
of been built on the shoulders of other movements, and you’ve been there in
other movements, fighting for immigration rights, anti-racist movements-

RINKU SEN: I was wondering how far back you were going to go.

RICHARD KIM: -movements around homelessness and poverty. You know, in the
early days, Occupy Wall Street was criticized by some people for being a
sort of white, middle-class, college thing. There was a sort of infamous
incident when civil rights activist and congressman John Lewis was prevented
from speaking at a Occupy meeting in Atlanta. But since then, you know, I
have seen a lot of great collaborations. Occupy Wall Street has gone up to
protest many times "stop and frisk" policies in Harlem, putting their bodies
on the line. What do you think, you know, is here, in terms of the potential
for collaboration? And what are the tensions, right, between this new force
in American politics and, you know, those organizations that have been
really working for decades in the trenches?

RINKU SEN: So, you know, you know that saying and that thing that people do
in families when they want to say how much they love each other, they say,
"I love you this much," and they make their arms really big to indicate that
there’s a lot of love there? There’s-a friend of mine has done something
different with that, where she says to her-the kids that she takes care of,
she says to them, "I love you this much." Can you all see my gesture? And
so, instead of putting her arms out, she puts two fingers together, because
nothing can come between us. "I love you this much, because nothing can come
between us." And contradictorily, I think that the relationship between
existing movement-existing organizations and the Occupy movement has to be
both. It has to be about love that’s this much and has some distance and
love that’s like this and has no distance, where nobody can come between
us. And that’s because I think that the Occupy movement has-needs to have
some autonomy. It does. And I really think it was very, very smart not to
have demands, you know, right out the gate. It’s not a campaign. So,
organizations do campaigns, and movements do something else. They shift the
public will. And so, the Occupy movement has to retain its ability to do its
primary job, as I understand it, which is to keep shifting the public will
and making that psychic break happen and supporting that psychic break. And
at the very same time, it has to be like this, with all the people in
communities-working people, unions, homeless people, tenants, immigrants-who
have been struggling for so long to make particular things happen and to get
back some of the stuff that was stolen from us. So, at the very same time,
you have to have this kind of distance and autonomy and be operating like in
this way, where nothing can get in between occupiers and all of the people
who have been fighting for a long time.

On race and diversity, the main thing I want to say is that diversity, by
itself, is not enough. It’s not actually enough for the Occupy movement to
be racially diverse, which it is. I know many, many people of color who are
very invested in their local occupations, who have shown up, who have slept
on site, who are bringing food and supplies and water and leading marches
and so on. So the people of color, from my perception, whether it started
that way or not, we are there now, and we are part of the movement, and we
claim the movement. And yet, it isn’t enough that there are simply bodies
of color and faces of color in the park, in the plaza, in any plaza. The
real question is, are those people who are there able to influence the
agendas of local occupations? In particular, are they able to help people
who are attracted to Occupy Wall Street get moved back out to all of the
organizations and campaigns and efforts to really win things? Because I know
you’re attracting a ton of people, and they’re going to do work. They, you
know, can’t hang out at a park all day long; there must be other things
that need to happen. Well, maybe you can all day long. But the next day, it
seems like maybe there might be room to make something happen.

And it’s like, you know, when you go to a party. You get invited to a
party, and maybe you like the person pretty well and respect the person who
invited you to the party. You go to the party, and you don’t like the
music, but you have no ability to change it, and it makes your head pound.
So the DJ doesn’t take requests, and the iPod is like glued into the
system, and you can’t get it out. If that’s the case, you don’t like the
music, and you have no ability to change it, you’re not going to hang out
at that party very long. You’re going to leave and either make your own
party or go home, I guess. So, the question is not really, can you get the
people of color to the party? It’s, can they change the music in a way that
helps them stay at the party?

And I think that if Occupy Wall Street is going to cause this public shift,
a really significant part of that shift has to be the ability to recognize
the role that racial discrimination, racial exploitation, racial hierarchy
played in getting us to this very depression, not just historically, but 10,
15, five years ago, last month, the ways in which redlining and mortgage
theft and predatory lending and long-term employment discrimination and
housing discrimination got us to the place where our economic systems do not
work for anybody, including struggling white people. That didn’t-struggling
white people weren’t-many have always been struggling, but there’s-you
know, I was saying in the green room that the 99 percent used to be the 98
percent, and somewhere in that 1 percent are some white people, you know?
And they would not have-they wouldn’t be moving into the 99 percent if in
fact there had not been a whole set of mechanisms and structures that were
actually designed to take stuff from people of color and to disenfranchise
people of color, that then ultimately always, always, always bled out to
affect everybody else.

RICHARD KIM: Thank you.

AMY GOODMAN: That was Rinku Sen of Applied Research Center and publisher of
ColorLines. Before that, Patrick Bruner, one of the organizers of Occupy
Wall Street, and Michael Moore, Oscar-winning filmmaker, as well as author
of Here Comes Trouble. Coming up, William Greider and Naomi Klein. Stay with
us.



[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]



------------------------------------

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
LAAMN: Los Angeles Alternative Media Network
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Unsubscribe: <mailto:[email protected]>
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Subscribe: <mailto:[email protected]>
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Digest: <mailto:[email protected]>
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Help: <mailto:[email protected]?subject=laamn>
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Post: <mailto:[email protected]>
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Archive1: <http://www.egroups.com/messages/laamn>
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Archive2: <http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]>
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/laamn/

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/laamn/join
    (Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
    [email protected] 
    [email protected]

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
    [email protected]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Reply via email to