http://www.davidrumsey.com/luna/servlet/detail/RUMSEY~8~1~210~20057:A-Map-Of-The-United-States-Of-Mexic?sort=Pub_Date%2CPub_List_No_InitialSort&qvq=q:Santa%2BCruz;sort:Pub_Date%2CPub_List_No_InitialSort;lc:RUMSEY~8~1&mi=9&trs=21

Some interesting maps. 165 years ago before the USA was in our own civil
war, when we (the USA) attacked Mexico (shortly after the Immigrant
Irishmen were released form their military duties in the US Army before
they'd have gotten their citizenship here, roughly 1834, and went to
Mexico and acted in the most decisive battles that sent Spain home, thusly
becoming heroic Mexican citizens - at one point there were more Irish in
Mexico then in the USA) this is what the new Country of Mexico looked like
the year before the US invaded and the Free independent Bandiditos (I
forget what the men who attacked the California Notre Mexican called
themselves, it was something close to this) the American mercenaries? who
took California Notre from Mexico and created the California republic.

A few weeks ago we were in the California Exhibit in the Oakland museum,
you should look at the maps there of the proposals of what was to be
called California, as presented by the Republic of California's Senate as
they asked to be admitted to the Union, so they didn't fall prey to a hand
full of Free Independent Banditios themselves.

This is the map just before the gold rush and a 50 years before the
discovery of Oil.

I note the numerous Russian Holdings on the Coast of California, are
ignored, though San Francisco was built up as a fort to protect it from
the Russians.

It gives me a real feeling of our (Northern European) recentness, to this
part of the world. In the SF Bay region, they weren't here 170 years ago,
yet 200 years ago this was the second largest population of North American
Indians before the advent of Columbus getting 'lost' and landing in the
Caribbean rather then in India.... musta been one hell of a broken sextant
to have missed by over 2/3rds the distance.

Home page, I was looking around in the SF  Monte Rey Bay (er... Monterey
Bay)area.
http://www.davidrumsey.com/luna/servlet/RUMSEY~8~1