Maybe I'm reading this wrong--and if so I apologize beforehand--but even
if there are nonetheless one or two points to be made in the below.

Michael wrote in what appears to be an outright dismissal of the
writer's argument _against_ bourgeois economic propagandists:

"What caused the financial crisis was the fundamental lack of soundness
and the insurmountable contradictions of US capitalism/colonialism.

"Not just the lack of regulation.Not just cheap money and easy credit.
Not just the housing bubble..."Etc.
.
I believe that what Michael wrote--in the just above--is exactly what
the writer in his article said:

"...crisis that occurs when a failed belief system or philosophy is
confronted with proof of its implausibility."

"To be clear, no single issue was the cause. Our economy is a complex
and intricate system."

There is in addition to this a mistake in what Michael wrote:

"_there is no_ truth within the logic of capitalism, no _"intelligent"
investing decisions_ in the sense that they are socially beneficial or
_capable of helping resolve the crises."
_
This is not the first time--and may not be the last time unless working
class solidarity comes into being arrayed against and victorious over
capitalism--that the system has crashed.  Witness the Panic of 1907
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panic_of_1907> (which prompted the
creation of the Federal Reserve--to take the place of J P Morgan as
'lender of last resort'--this time with a 'bazooka' of the unlimited
ability to create, i.e. 'print', money and thereby transfer purchasing
power); or the Great Depression ('solved' by the mass production and the
massive deficit spending of World War 2.

Marx wrote of capitalism ability to make such "intelligent" (sic)
investing decisions in the sense...of helping resolve the crises" in Vol
3 , Chap XV of Capital:
<http://marxists.org/archive/marx/works/1894-c3/ch15.htm>

"There would be absolute over-production of capital as soon as
additional capital for purposes of capitalist production = 0. The
purpose of capitalist production, however, is self-expansion of capital,
/i.e./, appropriation of surplus-labour, production of surplus-value, of
profit. As soon as capital would, therefore, have grown in such a ratio
to the labouring population that neither the absolute working-time
supplied by this population, nor the relative surplus working-time,
could be expanded any further (this last would not be feasible at any
rate in the case when the demand for labour were so strong that there
were a tendency for wages to rise); at a point, therefore, when the
increased capital produced just as much, or even less, surplus-value
than it did before its increase, there would be absolute over-production
of capital; //

"_How is this conflict settled and the conditions restored which
correspond to the "sound" operation of capitalist production? The mode
of settlement is already indicated in the very emergence of the conflict
whose settlement is under discussion. It implies the withdrawal and even
the partial destruction of capital _amounting to the full value of
additional capital ?C, or at least a part of it. Although, as the
description of this conflict shows, the loss is by no means equally
distributed among individual capitals, its distribution being rather
decided through a competitive struggle in which the loss is distributed
in very different proportions and forms, depending on special advantages
or previously captured positions, so that one capital is left unused,
another is destroyed, and a third suffers but a relative loss, or is
just temporarily depreciated, etc.

But the _equilibrium would be restored under all circumstances through
the withdrawal or even the destruction of more or less capita_l.

"Destruction of more or less capital."

Keynes in his "General Theory of Employment, Interest and Money" wrote
the same thing:

"When involuntary unemployment exists, the marginal disutility of labour
is necessarily less than the utility of the marginal product. Indeed it
may be much less. For a man who has been long unemployed some measure of
labour, instead of involving disutility, may have a positive utility. If
this is accepted, the above reasoning shows how_"wasteful" loan
expenditure may nevertheless enrich the community on balance.
Pyramid-building, earthquakes, even *wars may serve to increase
wealth*,_ if the education of our statesmen on the principles of the
classical economics stands in the way of anything better.

"Ancient Egypt was doubly fortunate, and doubtless owed to this its
fabled wealth, in that it possessed two activities, namely,
pyramid-building as well as the search for the precious metals, the
fruits of which, since they could not serve the needs of man by being
consumed, did not stale with abundance. The Middle Ages built cathedrals
and sang dirges. Two pyramids, two masses for the dead, are twice as
good as one; but not so two railways from London to York."

Somewhat away from the point (destruction of capital) but to the point
that capitalism has means by which to repair itself, here is his opinion
on 'make-work' schemes:

"If the Treasury were to fill old bottles with banknotes, bury them at
suitable depths in disused coalmines which are then filled up to the
surface with town rubbish, and leave it to private enterprise on
well-tried principles of /laissez-faire /to dig the notes up again (the
right to do so being obtained, of course, by tendering for leases of the
note-bearing territory), there need be no more unemployment."
http://www.marxists.org/reference/subject/economics/keynes/general-theory/ch10.htm

Henry Grossman also wrote the same thing--among many other things
(methods of the capitalist system to repair itself)--in Chapter 3 of
"Modifying Tendencies" in his magnificent ":The Law of the Accumulaton
and Breakdown of the Capitalist System" in reference to how the
capitalist system is able to repair and resurrect itself.  I will quote
only one method (in continuing with the ideas expressed in the above
citations from Marx and Keynes):

"In the pages that follow I shall not go into a detailed description of
all the several countertendencies that hinder the complete working out
of the breakdown...

"At a certain level of the accumulation of capital there is an
overproduction of capital or a shortage of surplus value. Overproduction
does not mean that there is not enough purchasing power to buy up
commodities, but that it does not pay to buy commodities for programmes
of expansion because it is not profitable to extend the scale of
production...

"Fr_om the Marxist theory of accumulation it follows that war and the
destruction of capital values bound up with it weaken the breakdown and
necessarily provide a new impetus to the accumulation of capital...
_
"... however much devaluation of capital may devastate the individual
capitalist in periods of crisis, they are a safety valve for the
capitalist class as a whole...

"The devaluation of accumulated capital takes various forms. Initially
Marx deals with the case of periodic devaluation due to technological
changes..._The same effect however, is produced when the apparatus of
reproduction is used up or destroyed in terms of value as well as use
value through wars, _ For a given economy the effect of capital
devaluation is the same as if the accumulation of capital were to find
itself at a lower stage of development. In this sense it creates a
greater scope for the accumulation of capital."
http://www.marxists.org/archive/grossman/1929/breakdown/ch03.htm

"The specific function of wars in the capitalist mechanism is only
explicable in these terms. Far from being an obstacle to the development
of capitalism or a factor which accelerates the breakdown, as Kautsky
and other Marxists have supposed,_the destructions and devaluations of
war are a means of warding off the imminent collapse, of creating a
breathing space for the accumulation of capital."_

I could go on with cites from Grossmann and Keynes as to the fact that
capitalism can establish itself anequilibrium
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economic_equilibrium>--meaning all goods
are sold at their value and supply meets demand--at a point on
theproduction possibilities curv
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Production%E2%80%93possibility_frontier>e
below that of full employment, leaving to rust and wither, as Marx
called it "Excess Capital and Excess Population"--the very  condition of
American capitalism since the '70's with factories closing and more and
more workers being put out of work and thus unwillingly joining the
"Reserve Army of Labor"
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reserve_army_of_labour> barred outside the
factory gates unemployed, miserable while all the while unwittingly
exercising downward pressure on the wages of those fearfully still
employed--but I have spent too much time on this already.

Capitalism can indeed 'save' itself--of course the measures taken only
serve to increase the contradictions such that these create the
foundation for the next--and more serious--crisis.

The system will not fall by itself.  Though it will shake and quake
destroying the lives of millions.  But left to its own devices
capitalism will not crumble on its own.  We, the working class must slay
this beast.  And dismissal and 'straw man' attacks upon our own economic
champions serve no real beneficial purpose.

This type of "gotcha"  arguments--and not discussions--within ourselves
has got to stop. Such is the sorry state of our political and economic
debates.

The article would prove to be enlightening for the many who know that
shit is fucked up but can't put their finger on the cause of their
miseries, capitalism.  We ought to encourage the reading of articles
such as this and not stoop to trying to pick points here and there.  If
you have something add it.  Add it. I'm sick of this subtractive method
of denigrating the efforts of comrades brave enough and knowledgeable
enough to point their finger at, to counteract and counter attack
bourgeois 'talking heads' spreading 'The Big Lies'.  Lies woven of von
Mises, Hayek, Freedman and Ann Rand.

We ought argue with the bourgeoisie.  And waste no time by making myths
made of straw or dismissing out of hand other comrades and friends who
make intellectual assaults upon the ruling class' ideological and
politically-economical foundations.

JAI
RAC-LA