Alvarado Street vendors protest LAPD crackdown

By Carlos Montes
Los Angeles, CA - Vendors protested a new police crackdown on street vendors on
Alvarado and 6th Streets, Dec. 16. The vendors gathered in front of Metro
Station on Alvarado Street. Carrying posters and chanting, they marched to the
Los Angeles Police Department Ramparts Division, amid cheers from onlookers.
Alvarado Street vendors are harassed by the L.A. County Sheriffs who use
threats and ticket. Now the LAPD has started harassing the vendors. LAPD
Ramparts cops have recently started a crackdown on street vendors who sell
tasty food, clothes and toys on sidewalks to survive. The Westlake/ MacArthur
Park community, where the vendors work, has a high unemployment rate for
undocumented immigrants - most of who come from Central American and Mexico.
Many are single women with children who rely on vending for survival. For many,
vending is the only source of income to survive. Street vending is common in
México and Central America. The vendors face harsh racist conditions in L.A.,
with unemployment, no or low income, bad housing, lack of health care,
overcrowded schools and constant police harassment. The vendors demands were
heard loud and clear: “We are workers, not criminals! Stop the harassment,
leave us alone, we want justice and we want it now, we demand respect.” The
LAPD had allowed vending on 6th Street between Union and Alvarado Streets for
over a year, due to the rebellion by the Guatemalan community following the
police killing of Manuel Jamines on Sept. 5, 2010. Jamines was a Guatemalan
Mayan worker forced to leave his country due to the extreme poverty and
violence caused by U.S. imperialism in Central America. Carlos Montes is a CSO
(Community Service Organization) organizer. For more information:
www.csosite.org

Read more News and Views from the Peoples Struggle at
http://www.fightbacknews.org. You can write to us at i...@fightbacknews.org

Fight Back! News · P.O. Box 582564 · Minneapolis, MN 55440