Hi.  As seen beleow, I intended sending this out just before I left for a
very long weekend.
I wanted to leave time for digestion of what will be surprising and
controversial, hoping not
only for serious attention, but responses which I could then pass on when I
returned.  But
I just got permission to send it to you, urge you to read and consider it,
and will pass on
responses over the holidays.  Happy Hanukkah and Merry Christmas to all.  
Ed
 
  _____  

From: Clay Claiborne [mailto:[email protected]] 
Sent: Wednesday, December 21, 2011 2:14 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: Clay Claiborne: Last of 5 essays: How Occupy LA got itself
evicted

Yes you can send it out. I'm sorry I didn't see this earlier.
Here's another great article on the occupy movement from a socialist
prospective:
Occupy and the tasks of  <http://links.org.au/node/2657> socialists by Pham
Binh

In Solidarity,

Clay

On 12/14/2011 10:17 AM, Ed Pearl wrote:   

Clay, I'm leaving for a 5 day trip to Oakland this Friday, noon.  Can I send
this out to my list tomorow or Friday morning. It's an incredibly important
essay, which I've noted myself, but didn't want to upset the cart as I
haven't done more than go to a couple of  outside Occupation activities ,
and the four times I visited the encampment.  You're also a fine writer.  Of
course, I can wait until you finish it, but see great value in starting a
public conversation, right now.  One of the great things about your essay is
the commitment to the Occupation movement you profess.  That should help the
huge number of  as yet inactive supporters who have had questions about
this, as have I.  Well done! 
Let me know about the pass on. 
Ed  

From:  Clay Claiborne
Sent: Tuesday, December 13, 2011 8:09 AM
Subject: Last of 5 essays: How Occupy LA got itself evicted 

This is the last in a series of five essays I have written about the
eviction of Occupy Los Angeles from City Hall Park. These five parts are in
preparation of a larger consolidated piece on the same subject that will be
published to a wider audience. This form is for discussion by those with a
more intimate knowledge of Occupy LA. 

If you missed any of this series and would like to read them, I have posted
them here. 

1 of 5 essays on the eviction: Did 1st Amendment
<http://linuxbeach.net/content/1-5-essays-eviction-did-1st-amendment-protect
-ola-encampment-city-hall-park> protect OLA encampment @ City Hall Park? 
2 of 5 essays: Was DHS behind the eviction of Occupy
<http://linuxbeach.net/content/2-5-essays-was-dhs-behind-eviction-occupy-la>
LA?
3 of 5 essays: What's the real reason Villaraigosa
<https://linuxbeach.net/content/3-5-essays-whats-real-reason-villaraigosa-ki
cked-us-out> kicked us out?
4 of 5 essays on the eviction: The Demonization of
<https://linuxbeach.net/content/4-5-essays-eviction-demonization-mario-you-m
ust-enter-title-your-diary> Mario
5 of 5 essays: How Occupy LA got itself
<https://linuxbeach.net/content/5-5-essays-how-occupy-la-got-itself-evicted>
evicted


In Solidarity, 

Clay 

As I heard the Occupy LA Code of Conduct being read before the local news TV
cameras at the General Assembly "The community will respect the individual's
right to use drugs and alcohol," I realized that the encampment at city hall
would probably be shut down soon, for while the standards of allowable
conduct for the community that had become the Occupy LA encampment at city
hall may have been okay with drug and alcohol use in public parks, the
larger community that represents 99% of Los Angeles was not. As I had said
before, ours is not a military occupation, it is a non-violent occupation.
We don't hold city hall park by force of arms, we hold it with our moral
authority and popular support. When we lose those, we will lose the
encampment.

This eviction happened because the city let us have enough rope to hang
ourselves with and we greedily took it. Many occupiers knew there were
serious problems with drugs, alcohol and more at the encampment. We also
knew that we did not introduce these problems to downtown Los Angeles. But
just as the encampment became a refuge for many in our society seeking
shelter from the cold, it became a "liberated" zone for unlawful activities
that in many cases, we did not even try to control.

The city and police knew what was going on too and these problems were
discussed more or less openly in a number of city liaison meetings I
attended. These were meetings between reps from the mayor and LAPD and
self-appointed or selected occupiers that volunteered for this necessary but
ultimately thankless task. There were also phone calls, a select group of
numbers some commanders at LAPD had to call whenever they had a problem or a
question.

I think the city liaison work developed in a non-transparent, non GA
approved way, like much of our work, not because of any sinister intentions,
but because of the "fly by the seat of the pants" nature in which almost
everything associated with Occupy LA developed in the early days. I got
involved because I received a call from City Councilmember Alarcon's office
about Occupy LA support for responsible banking even before the occupation
began.

They called me because they found my name associated with Occupy LA
somewhere in the biosphere and they didn't know shit about bringing a
proposal to the GA. And I guess it can be fairly argued that when I used the
term "we" and asked for his help modifying the LAPD position that we
couldn't camp out at city hall, I was representing Occupy LA to a city or
police official in a non-transparent way without either GA approval or GA
report back, and that was only the first time. I initiated other calls on
behalf of Occupy LA to other city and police officials even that same day.

After the initial efforts. in which the city council support resolution was
secured and the practical right to keep tents on the grass, have porta
potties, and amplified sound, etc. were gained, I think the most important
function these meetings and phone calls served was to give the city a way to
complain. For those doing this work, it was mostly about taking the heat and
putting out the fires. We were trying to maintain a relationship with the
city govt because that was the only basis upon which the occupation of city
hall park was viable now. In my experience, relationships work better if you
feel you have someone to talk to and the other party is actually listening.
Even if little or no real progress is being made with regards to your
"issues", you're likely to continue the relationship as long as you feel
they are being "addressed." The quickest way to end the relationship is to
suddenly cut lines of communications.

And I must now admit that I did often consciously miss-represent Occupy LA
to city and police officials. I think others did too but they have to speak
for themselves. For example, when the above mentioned problems would come
up, as they often did. I would always seek to minimize them, put them even
below levels that I knew to be true. I would say that we were as concerned
about drug and alcohol abuse as they were, blah, blah, blah. I would play up
our efforts to address these problems and consciously under-represent views
at Occupy LA that were okay with drug and alcohol use in the park.

I think I was a good candidate for city liaison because on these issues I
could tell these officials in earnest what they wanted to hear. I could do
that because I always opposed drug and alcohol use at the encampment. But I
also knew that the GA had a resolution that condoned it. Why I wasn't there
to hard block that is another question, apparently consensus is only 100% if
everyone can be there for every decision, but that is besides the point. I
miss-presented Occupy LA, I told then that we were doing more to address
these problems than we were doing, when in fact I knew that many at Occupy
LA didn't see open drug and alcohol use in the city park as a problem at
all. I did this both because I really did think we shouldn't allow drug and
alcohol use in the encampment and because I knew that the position embodied
in that code of conduct was incompatible with the city's continued support
for the encampment in the city hall park.

As I saw it, that was the main job of city liaison, to give them somebody to
bitch and complain to, and to give them some private channels to do that in
and us some idea about what was on their mind. Yes, much of this was on the
qt, very 'hush-hush', non-transparent, not for public consumption or
broadcast. Anyone who has ever been involved in talks of this kind, like
talks with an enemy to end a war or maintain a peace, knows that
transparency is not so much a friend of that mission as confidentiality is.
It is all too easy to blow up peace talks in the name of 'transparency' and
go back to war. Ask Henry Kissinger how he extended the Vietnam War for
"four more years" by scuttling the 1968 Paris peace talks in the name of
"transparency." 

Also I would have to say that as a whole the city liaison team did not
fairly represent Occupy LA in that it represented only those that believed
in working with the police and the city, that thought we should ask for
permission before we acted without it, thought city government had a
legitimate role in coordinating and regulating the use of public resources,
and wanted a climate of peace with the city and the LAPD so that we could
focus on the fight against Wall St. Until that very last city liaison
meeting, after which we were evicted, it did not represent those occupiers
that opposed any discussions with the city, opposed any request for permits
or thought from the very beginning that the main issue was ending police
brutality at Occupy LA.

But in spite of those weaknesses, or perhaps, because of them, the city
liaison team seemed to be doing an excellent job, at least from the point of
view of someone who wanted to see the encampment at city hall continue
through the winter and play the vital role that it could have played for the
whole Occupy Wall St. movement in this period. While, for a whole variety of
reasons, the City wanted us off the lawn of city hall sooner or later,
before this "transparency" row, they were offering us buildings and farm
land and floating January 31st as an agreeable end date for the last of the
encampment. 

The city liaison team was not agreeing, we were extending the talks, and
with them the occupation. As far as I'm concerned, what we were doing was
still working, as it had for seven weeks. If instead, you want the LAPD to
come down to the GA and publicly air their issues with Occupy LA while the
cameras are rolling, you will get what we got.


IN SUMMATION


The encampment at Los Angeles City Hall that started on October 1st and end
with our eviction on November 30th was a tremendously important
groundbreaking for Occupy Los Angeles. For two months we held the ground at
city hall. From the beginning it was very diverse in it's representation of
all the various black, white, Latino, Asian and indigenous peoples of Los
Angeles. We got a lot of support from community groups and labor. With over
400 tents and 500 overnight occupiers staying on city hall lawn, and many
more 'day trippers' like myself, we build what was probably the largest
encampment in the United States, and with creations like the People's
Collective University, the Print Shop, the Bike Repair Shop & community bike
pool, the Kids Center, not to mention the welcome tent, the media tent,
security, medical and of course the food tent, probably one of the ones most
sophisticated in it's organization.

With the encampment at city hall as our base camp we were able to host
numerous events that drew thousands, the LAPD reported 15 thousand for the
march on October 15th, and carry forward a constant stream of protests
against the banks and other seats of power in downtown LA. We were able to
make our voice heard inside city hall too, as it proved convenient for
occupiers to attend city council and committee meetings in city hall and
weigh in on "business as usual" as never before. 

I could go on and on about the accomplishments of Occupy Los Angeles to date
because they are not easy to minimize, but quite obviously, that is not the
point of these essays. Besides there are many writers who will uncritically
sing the praises of the movement. My intention here is to shine a bright
light on our problems so that we can correct them and move forward. I will
continue to say nobody can defeat this movement if we don't defeat
ourselves. Strength comes from within, but so does weakness. Nothing lasts
forever and while the encampment at city hall had to end sooner or later, it
could have ended later and on much more favorable terms. I hope I have shown
that the conditions that led to the eviction of Occupy LA from the city hall
park in this instant were internal to the movement and, as such, things that
we should have been able to control directly. I hope that some lessons can
be learned.

As to the future, I think the eviction has actually had a liberating effect
on Occupy Los Angeles. After two months, the sheer logistics of maintaining
the encampment, even without all the internal camp problems that were
cropping up, was draining the energy of far too many activists. Now we are
free to organize wide ranging campaigns all over Los Angeles. 

The General Assembly continues to meet on the west steps of city hall
nightly @ 7:30p. 
Yesterday
<http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2011/12/occupy-protesters-disrupt-wes
t-coast-port-operations.html> , there was a bold action to shutdown the
westcoast ports.
On December 15th we will Occupy I.C.E.
<https://www.facebook.com/events/207651565982634/>  to stop deportations and
raids.
Occupy Los Angeles is just beginning. Occupy 2.0 is now being launched.

Expect Us!
    
 * * *
 


Hi, Ed

Would you please send out this meeting notice to your list? I would greatly
appreciate it.
Thanks.

John Wenger


---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: John Wenger <[email protected] <blocked::mailto:[email protected]> >
Date: Wed, Dec 21, 2011 at 02:40
Subject: Uncensored Politics Meets This Saturday Afternoon, December 24,
2011, Two to Six PM
To: Uncensored Politics <[email protected]
<blocked::mailto:[email protected]> >


1. This week we will discuss the NDAA (National Defense Authorization Act)
and its provisions to jail Americans indefinitely if classified as a a
terrroist by some anonymous federal official. What does this mean for us
activists, and how can we defend ourselves?

2. Benjamin Fulford has said some new things that are extremely interesting,
and worth discussing in the context of the economy, and the impending fall
of the EURO, and probable bailout of the EU by our Fed. 

3. Fukushima continues emitting radiation. We will discuss the December 2011
paper that reports that an estimated 14,000 excess deaths in the United
States are linked to the radioactive fallout from the disasterat the
Fukushima nuclear reactors in Japan. We will review the recommended ways to
defend against this ongoing radiation.

4. Occupy LA continues, and we will report on it.

We will meet this Saturday from two to six pm at the Unurban Coffeehouse,
which closes at eight PM Xmas Eve.

What: The Uncensored Politics Discussion Group will meet: 
When: Saturday, December 24, 2011 --- from two to six pm, 
Where: The Unurban Coffeehouse in Santa Monica, 
3301 Pico Boulevard, Santa Monica, CA 90405-2115, 
near the Centinella Exit off the Ten Freeway, just two Exits West of the
405.

John Wenger


 

No virus found in this message.
Checked by AVG - www.avg.com
Version: 2012.0.1890 / Virus Database: 2109/4695 - Release Date: 12/21/11



[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]



------------------------------------

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
LAAMN: Los Angeles Alternative Media Network
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Unsubscribe: <mailto:[email protected]>
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Subscribe: <mailto:[email protected]>
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Digest: <mailto:[email protected]>
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Help: <mailto:[email protected]?subject=laamn>
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Post: <mailto:[email protected]>
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Archive1: <http://www.egroups.com/messages/laamn>
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Archive2: <http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]>
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/laamn/

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/laamn/join
    (Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
    [email protected] 
    [email protected]

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
    [email protected]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Reply via email to