I just listened to today's edition of Deadline L.A. The commentators
were, respectively, writers for the L.A. Times and the Daily News,
pontificating about the biggest local stories of 2011. In just one hour,
 they managed to insult not only all politically active Angelenos but
the very city they live in, in at least half-a-dozen ways: from praising
 LAUSD Superintendent John "The Contract Slicer" Deasy, to smugly
asserting that only "fringe-y people" were opposed to the stadium
project because anything that brings jobs is good, to snarking "Occupy
L.A., did that amount to a hill of beans?"

They further demonstrated their shallowness by putting the Occupy
movement completely in the context of media coverage, without attempting
 to examine the underlying reasons for the Occupy movement. Their
comments on the contrast between the City Council's resolution of
support and the later forced removal and brutalization of the Occupiers
came down to this: "That's why I love L.A.!" It's all just a spectator
sport to these media whores. This exchange perfectly demonstrates why it
 is necessary to "occupy" the mainstream media as well. And by the way,
isn't KPFK supposed to provide an alternative to the Times and the Daily
 News?? Why are these superficial clowns on the people's radio station? And
since when did snarkiness equal intelligent commentary?

This is a perfect example of why I only listen to KPFK on weekends, and
maybe not for very much longer. As a teacher, I like to listen to Uncle
Ruthie's Halfway Down The Stairs, the ONLY children's show on the
station; as a devotee of folk music, I like to wake up early to hear
Alive and Pickin', whose host is apparently quitting; and as a science
buff, I like to hear Michio Kaku's Explorations, the ONLY general
science program on the station, which has been moved and rescheduled to
the point where no one can find it anymore. Most of these programs are
knocked off the air during fund drives, so that we can hear 24-7
broadcasting about cancer cures.

I think this fund drive programming strategy is backfiring, because I
never listen during fund drives anymore, and never subscribe except in
the name of Uncle Ruthie's show. I'm not at the point yet where I want
to boycott the station, but maybe someone out there who feels as I do
can use my strategy: subscribe ONLY in the name of a cancelled or
mistreated program!

Tomaisin