We are complicit with our own repression. Our own stubborn allegiance to
modernity that outsources all the pain and suffering to other peoples
and the planet is a kind of mental illness of pathological narcissism
and delusions of grandeur. It is a kind of suicide/ecocide.

S. Brian Willson <http://www.brianwillson.com/>

In 1553 or there abouts, a young French lawyer wrote an amazing essay,
The Politics of Obedience: Discourse on Voluntary Servitude, in which
his study of the history of tyranny revealed that no matter how power is
derived – kings, dictators or elections – men create their own
tyrants.  Whether domestic or foreign, tyrants rule as the people give
obedience  to them, usually from hopes of personal gain. Once this
obedience is  withheld, tyranny quickly collpases. Power is dependent
upon massive  obedience. It depends upon "voluntary servitude."

Nearly 250 years later, William Godwin (1756-1836), the first to offer a
clear statement of anarchist principles,  commented in An Enquiry
Concerning Political Justice (1793), that if men are subject to tyranny
it is because the great mass agree to be tyrannically ruled.

More than 50 years later, Henry David Thoreau wrote Civil Disobedience in
which he described man’s attachment and obedience to the state, rather
than to what is right, enables it to have its willing instruments for wars
and repressive institutions like slavery. Refusing allegiance to and
resisting the government when its tyranny or its inefficiency are great
and unendurable, form the basis of man’s natural right to revolution. The
mass of men serve the state, not as human beings, but as machines with
their bodies. But a simple shift in beliefs – that the state is not the
final authority – can quickly cause the state to collapse.

It is quite simple, really. We are complicit with our own repression. Our
own stubborn allegiance to modernity that outsources all the pain and
suffering to other peoples and the planet is a kind of mental illness of
pathological narcissism and delusions of grandeur. It is a kind of
suicide/ecocide. We simply need to stop, and begin to look at one another
and relocalize into food sufficient bioregions.
This entry was written by brian, posted on at 5:41 pm, filed under Brian's
Blog, Envisioning Nonviolent Revolutionary Alternatives. Bookmark the
a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

Full story...
<http://evergreenedigest.org/liberation-requires-disobedience>