https://movetoamend.org/

The Best Democracy Money Can Buy

Immediately following Election Day, the rhetoric flowing from our elected
officials in Washington was all about the 'fiscal cliff.' Unfortunately
they were not referring to the costs of this election.

According to the Center for Responsive Politics, this campaign season was
the most expensive in history, topping out at an estimated $6 billion:
http://www.opensecrets.org/news/2012/10/2012-election-spending-will-reach-6.html.

The presidential race was slightly less costly than the last one; slightly
more money was spent in House and Senate races this year. "Dark" money
from Super PACs, unleashed by Citizens United, totaled over $540 million,
while non-profit interest groups spent $351 million. Incumbents, who spend
30% to 70% of their time raising money, continued to retain a big
advantage over challengers.

When you consider the amount of money flowing into our elections and the
time elected officials spend raising money, it's no wonder we are nearing
a fiscal cliff. Policies that benefit only corporate America and their
wealthy allies have brought us to this precipice, and there's no end in
sight. It is more than likely that the majority of us will be further
victimized by pending austerity measures on the horizon.

It is said we have the best democracy money can buy. We wonder how long
our democracy can survive under the principle that money is speech, which
is why Move to Amend is calling for a Constitutional amendment that
clearly states money is not speech, and corporations are not entitled to
the same rights as people.

In this election awash with corporate and dark money, over 150 of ballot
initiatives supporting our amendment language passed in communities across
the nation. Folks are waking up to the damage these huge sums of money
have on our democracy, which proves Move to Amend is on the right track.

We're part of a movement to reclaim our democracy, and we're winning.
Please help us expand our reach -- ask your friends
(https://salsa3.salsalabs.com/o/50137/p/salsa/web/tellafriend/public/?tell_a_friend_KEY=8209)
to sign our petition
(https://salsa3.salsalabs.com/o/50137/p/dia/action/public/?action_KEY=6883)
so we can grow our numbers and repeat these successes in the next
election.

In solidarity,

Ashley Sanders, Ben Manski, Daniel Lee, David Cobb, Egberto Willies,
Jerome Scott, Kaitlin Sopoci-Belknap, Laura Bonham, George (Leesa) Friday,
Nancy Price, Stephen Justino

Move to Amend Executive Committee

--
MOVE TO AMEND: The National Campaign to End Corporate Personhood and
Demand Real Democracy!

We, the People of the United States of America, reject the U.S. Supreme
Court's Citizens United ruling, and move to amend our Constitution to
firmly establish that money is not speech, and that human beings, not
corporations, are persons entitled to constitutional rights.