---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Frank Tamborello <fr...@hungeractionla.org>
Date: Fri, Jan 4, 2013 at 1:44 PM
Subject: 3 big upcoming events
To: food-advoca...@aumlist.com

*To All Those Interested in Food and Justice... *

* *

A (usually) weekly update on food issues, promoting access to sufficient,
affordable, healthy food ---with a focus on campaigns you can become active
in! ****

** **

*Follow us *on Twitter @HungerActionLA . Welcome to all the new people on
the list: please respond to fr...@hungeractionla.org if you wish to use a
different e mail or be removed****

** **

*Jan 4, 2013: ***

***1.     ****Statewide Day of Action for 2013 Budget: Thurs Jan
10                                   *

***2.     ****HALA Meeting Friday Jan 18*

***3.     ****Restaurant Opportunities Center Releases Diner’s Guide at
Upcoming Fundraiser Wed. Jan 16 Downtown LA*

* *

**************************************

*1. Statewide Day of Action for 2013 Budget: Thurs Jan 10*

* *

*California Partnership: Statewide Day of Action Jan 10, 2013 (Next
Thursday)                                 Press Conference and Rally for
the 2013 Budget Release*

*Reinvest in California Families, Seniors, and People with Disabilities*

*Los Angeles Governor’s Office, 300 S Spring St. LA 90013*

*11:45 AM*

*Contact Astrid Campos 213 407 5840*

*acam...@communitychange.org*

The Governor’s budget will be announced that day (sometimes they’re sneaky
and do it sooner.) It’s anticipated that with increased revenue,  we won’t
have to be as much on the defensive as in the past about state programs
that help the poor, seniors and disabled. This could be the year we ask for
Reinvestment in California Families and restoration of some of the things
lost over the years, including dental care for Medi-Cal recipients such as
the 750,000 seniors and people with disabilities struggling on SSI in
Southern California. More information 213 385 8010 or see contact info
above. ****

* *

*2. Hunger Action LA Meeting Friday Jan. 18* ****

Normally we meet on the 4th Friday but this year there will be a couple of
exceptions. One of them will be the first meeting of the year. We’re having
it early so we can discuss among other things the upcoming candidates’
forums for the Mayor’s race in Los Angeles. How can we ensure that hunger,
poverty and food justice are issues that will be considered? What ideas do
our candidates actually have concerning hunger?****

*Friday Jan 18*

*10 am to Noon*

*LAANE, 464 S Lucas Ave LA CA 90017*

Free parking****

* *

                           **3. Restaurant Opportunities Center Releases
Diner’s Guide at Upcoming Fundraiser Wed. Jan 16 Downtown LA*

* *

ROC-LA's 2013 Diners’ Guide Fundraiser Party at Chaya Downtown****

Come Celebrate Good Food and Ethical Dining!****

2013 ROC-LA Diners’ Guide:****

A Fundraiser for Change in the Restaurant Industry****

January 16, 2013 from 6:00pm to 8:00pm****

Chaya Downtown - 525 South Flower Street, Los Angeles, CA 90017****

Your ticket includes:****

•*             Appetizers from Chaya Downtown*, ROC-LA's high road partner
restaurant will provide a sample of their dazzling appetizers and
refreshments (vegetarians options included). Chaya’s signature cocktails
will be available at the bar.****

*•             2013 National Diners' Guide which rates the country's most
popular restaurants on their workplace practices including ratings on
wages, benefits, and opportunities for advancement.* The 2013 guide
highlights more high road employers across the nation and it will also
educate consumers on unjust workplace practices for other restaurants****

*•             LA Eating Ethically Guide 2013* profiles ROC-LA’s high road
restaurants. ROC-LA's guide will feature amazing restaurants that believe
sustainable work practices equals a sustainable restaurant industry. This
pocket size guide is perfect if you are looking to dine out and want to
support workers at a great LA restaurant! ****

*•             Behind the Kitchen Door* a book by Saru Jayaraman describes
the experience of the second-largest private sector workforce in America
with 10 million workers across the nation; whose growing population
includes immigrants and people of color who have a passion for the
restaurant industry, yet they live under poor working conditions.
Jarayaman describes what a consumer “foodie” puts at stake when they dine
out, and the book explores the health and well-being of not only the worker
but of all those who enjoy dining out. For more information visit:
http://behindthekitchendoor.org ****

Validated Parking is Provided for this Event ****

 ****

 As consumers you have the power to raise the standards for all restaurant
workers. Make your dollars and dining count for change in the restaurant
industry.****

here is the link to get your ticket (or tickets)!****

http://roc-la2013eatethicallydinersguide.eventbrite.com/ ****

** **