Our Killer President

By Arthur Silber

January 10 2013 "Information  Clearing House"  - The killer said:
“Ask Osama  bin Laden and the 22 out of 30 top al-Qaeda  leaders who’ve been
taken off the field whether  I engage in appeasement,” the president fired
back at an impromptu news conference at the  White House.

>“Or whoever’s left out there,” he added. “Ask
                                                                them about
that.”Unfortunately your browser does not support IFrames.
Watch More News Videos at ABC | Technology News | Celebrity News
Watch the  video. It's instructive, particularly Obama's  expression when he
adds, "Or whoever's left out  there." He speaks of murder, yet the words are
breezy and casual: this is a murderer so used to  killing that he talks of his
past and future victims  interchangeably, and in terms of approximation. Just
"whoever's left out there." He wants to be sure you  know he'll order all of
them killed in time. His  face is expressionless, the eyes dead. This is a man
without a soul in any healthy, positive sense. He  murders -- and he's proud of
it.

More than a million innocent Iraqis were murdered as the  result of the United
States' criminal war of  aggression on that country. Obama has heralded
America's "success" in Iraq as "an  extraordinary achievement."

The continuing murders in Pakistan and Afghanistan
                                                        are so numerous and so
regular that they barely
                                                        merit notice for more
than a few days, at least as
                                                        far as the United
States government and most
                                                        Americans are
concerned. Over the recent
                                                        Thanksgiving weekend,
the United States government murdered at least 25 Pakistanis. (NATO and the
U.S. government are indistinguishable in any matter  of importance, in any
matter of murders of this  kind.) Pakistan is deeply angry and unhappy. The
United States government and Obama are concerned  only to the extent that
Pakistan's unhappiness might  interfere with the U.S.'s intention to dominate
and  control that part of the world. The U.S. government  and Obama aren't
particularly upset about the  murders, but about the strategic problem that
might  result from the murders.

On the same weekend: "Six  children were among seven civilians killed in a
NATO airstrike in southern Afghanistan, Afghan  officials said Thursday." The
story has already  fallen into the well of forgetfulness. It must be  the case
that incidents like this occur at least  once a day given the number of
military operations  ordered by the Murderer-in-Chief and carried out by  those
who follow his orders. Perhaps only one  innocent person is killed. "Only" one.
Perhaps we  should ask "whoever's left out there" what that one  loss signifies.

Earlier in November, there was this story:
Last  Friday, I met a boy, just before he was  assassinated by the CIA. Tariq
Aziz was 16, a  quiet young man from North Waziristan, who, like  most
teenagers, enjoyed soccer. Seventy-two  hours later, a Hellfire missile is
believed to  have killed him as he was travelling in a car to  meet his aunt in
Miran Shah, to take her home  after her wedding. Killed with him was his
12-year-old cousin, Waheed Khan.

>Over 2,300 people in Pakistan have been killed
                                                                by such
missiles carried by drone aircraft such
                                                                as the Predator
and the Reaper, and launched by
                                                                remote control
from Langley, Virginia. Tariq and
                                                                Waheed brought
the known total of children
                                                                killed in this
way to 175, according to
                                                                statistics
maintained by the organisation I work
                                                                for, the Bureau
of Investigative Journalism.

>Unless the CIA can prove that Tariq Aziz posed
                                                                an imminent
threat (as the White House's legal
                                                                advice
stipulates a targeted killing must in
                                                                order for an
attack to be carried out), or that
                                                                he was a key
planner in a war against the US or
                                                                Pakistan, the
killing of this 16 year old was
                                                                murder, and any
jury should convict the CIA
                                                                accordingly.
These are only  a few of the stories we know about, and only from a  very brief
period of time. Countless other murders  take place all over the world, and we
can only  gather the dim outlines of what is occurring. This  is not to mention
numerous lesser acts of cruelty  and violence, many of which will alter lives
in  searing ways, for all the desolate years to follow.

Consider:
Somewhere  on this planet an American commando is carrying  out a mission. Now,
say that 70 times and you're  done... for the day. Without the knowledge of
the American public, a secret force within the  U.S. military is undertaking
operations in a  majority of the world's countries.

>Last year, Karen DeYoung and Greg Jaffe of the
                                                                Washington Post
reported that U.S. Special
                                                                Operations
forces were deployed in 75 countries,
                                                                up from 60 at
the end of the Bush presidency. By
                                                                the end of this
year, U.S. Special Operations
                                                                Command [SOCOM]
spokesman Colonel Tim Nye told
                                                                me, that number
will likely reach 120. "We do a
                                                                lot of
traveling -- a lot more than Afghanistan
                                                                or Iraq," he
said recently. This global presence
                                                                -- in about 60%
of the world's nations and far
                                                                larger than
previously acknowledged -- provides
                                                                striking new
evidence of a rising clandestine
                                                                Pentagon power
elite waging a secret war in all
                                                                corners of the
world.

>In 120 countries across the globe, troops from
                                                                Special
Operations Command carry out their
                                                                secret war of
high-profile assassinations,
                                                                low-level
targeted killings, capture/kidnap
                                                                operations,
kick-down-the-door night raids,
                                                                joint
operations with foreign forces, and
                                                                training
missions with indigenous partners as
                                                                part of a
shadowy conflict unknown to most
                                                                Americans. Once
"special" for being small, lean,
                                                                outsider
outfits, today they are special for
                                                                their power,
access, influence, and aura.
No minimally  decent human being would choose to have anything  whatsoever to
do with a government which  systematically engages in acts of this kind. This
is  true of anyone who is part of the national governing  apparatus, or wishes
to be. It is most especially  true of anyone who wishes to become president.
Even  if a person declares his or her absolute commitment  to ending all of
this, it is impossible for one  person to do it. The massive bureaucracy of
death  which carries out these acts was erected over  decades; all such
bureaucratic monstrosities take on  lives of their own. It will not be
dismantled by a  single individual overnight, or even in a matter of  months or
probably years. That means the murders  will go on.

It may be that at some point this machinery of death
                                                        will be brought down
comparatively quickly. If that
                                                        happens, it will not be
the result of one person's
                                                        actions, but of
calamitous events on a momentous
                                                        scale: widening war,
catastrophic natural disasters,
                                                        widespread financial
collapse, and/or massive social
                                                        unrest and violence. In
the meantime, a reverence
                                                        for life demands that
we see the Death State exactly for what it is -- and walk away to the  fullest
extent we can.

That is not the course Barack Obama chose. He wanted
                                                        to be, he now is the
Murderer-in-Chief. He is proud of his achievement.

Thus, the words I wrote over five years ago continue
                                                        to hold a relevance and
meaning that fill me with
                                                        the deepest despair. I
desperately wish that I had
                                                        never had cause to
compose this passage, and that I
                                                        did not feel compelled
to repeat it now:
If you  have ever wondered how a serial murderer -- a  murderer who is sane and
fully aware of the acts  he has committed -- can remain steadfastly  convinced
of his own moral superiority and show  not even the slightest glimmer of
remorse, you  should not wonder any longer.

>The United States government is such a murderer.
                                                                It conducts its
murders in full view of the
                                                                entire world.
It even boasts of them. Our
                                                                government, and
all our leading commentators,
                                                                still maintain
that the end justifies the means
                                                                -- and that
even the slaughter of hundreds of
                                                                thousands of
innocents is of no moral
                                                                consequence,
provided a sufficient number of
                                                                people can
delude themselves into believing the
                                                                final result is
a "success."

>We can appeal all we want to "American

exceptionalism," but any "exceptionalism" that
                                                                remains ours is
that of a mass murderer without
                                                                a soul, and
without a conscience. ... It is
                                                                useless to
appeal to any "American" sense of
                                                                morality: we
have none. It does not matter how
                                                                immense the
pile of corpses grows: we will not
                                                                surrender or
even question our delusion that we
                                                                are right, and
that nothing we do can be
                                                                profoundly,
unforgivably wrong.
Arthur Silber blogs at powerofnarrative.blogspot.com
See also -  Misplaced Secrecy on Targeted  Killings: For years,  President
Obama has been stretching executive power to claim  that the authorization to
use military force against Al  Qaeda gives him the unilateral authority to
order people  killed away from any battlefield without judicial oversight  or
public accountability — even when the target is an  American citizen.