Government Protects Criminals by Attacking Whistleblowers
Posted on February 2, 2013 by WashingtonsBlog

It’s now obvious to everyone that – even though criminal fraud dominates Wall
Street – the Obama administration refuses to prosecute white collar crime.
Ronald Reagan, George W. Bush, George H.W. Bush and Bill Clinton each
prosecuted financial crime more aggressively than Barack Obama.
Of course, the lack of a fair and even-handed legal system destroys prosperity
and leads to the breakdown of society.
National security claims are also used to keep financial fraud secret (and
people who protest runaway criminality by the big banks are targeted as
terrorists).  And when those in the private sector blow the whistle on
potential crimes, they are targeted also.
But it’s not like the government isn’t aggressively using the legal system …
it’s just using it to silence the truth.
Specifically, the Obama administration has prosecuted more whistleblowers than
all other presidents combined.
Government employees also goes out of their way to smear whistleblowers,
threaten reporters who discuss whistleblower information and harass honest
analysts.
Indeed, even high-level government employees are in danger.
For example, after the head of the NSA’s spying program – William Binney –
disclosed the fact that the U.S. was spying on everyone in the U.S. and storing
the data forever, and that the U.S. was quickly becoming a totalitarian state,
the Feds tried to scare him into shutting up:
[Numerous] FBI officers held a gun to Binney’s head as he stepped naked from
the shower. He watched with his wife and youngest
son as the FBI ransacked their home. Later Binney was separated from the rest
of his family, and FBI officials pressured him to implicate one of the other
complainants in criminal activity. During the raid, Binney
attempted to report to FBI officials the crimes he had witnessed at NSA, in
particular the NSA’s violation of the constitutional rights of all
Americans. However, the FBI wasn’t interested in these disclosures.
Instead, FBI officials seized Binney’s private computer, which to this
day has not been returned despite the fact that he has not been charged
with a crime.
Other NSA whistleblowers have also been subjected to armed raids and criminal
prosecution.
After high-level CIA officer John Kiriakou blew the whistle on illegal CIA
torture, the government prosecuted him for espionage.
Even the CIA director was targeted with extra-constitutional spying  and driven
out of office.
In reality, the government is spying on Americans to crack down on dissent …
not to keep us safe.
And the top interrogation experts from U.S. military and intelligence services
say that all torture is lousy at producing actionable intelligence, and the
U.S. used Communist torture techniques specifically aimed at creating false
confessions  in order to create a false justification for the Iraq war.
Indeed, torture doesn’t prevent terrorism but rather creates new terrorists.
And the “bad guys” knew about torture long before Kiriakou blew the whistle.
As a top U.S. air force interrogator notes:
I learned in Iraq that the No. 1 reason foreign fighters
flocked there to fight were the abuses carried out at Abu Ghraib and
Guantanamo.
As such, it is clear that the point of prosecuting whistleblowers is to protect
those in power, not protect our country …
As former constitutional lawyer Glenn Greenwald notes:
The permanent US national security state has used extreme secrecy to shield its
actions from democratic accountability ever since its creation after World War
II. But those secrecy powers were
dramatically escalated in the name of 9/11 and the War on Terror, such
that most of what the US government now does of any significance is
completely hidden from public knowledge. Two recent events – the sentencing
last week of CIA torture whistleblower John Kirikaou to 30 months in prison and
the invasive investigation to find the New York Times’ source for its reporting
on the US role in launching cyberwarfare at Iran – demonstrate how devoted the
Obama administration is not only to maintaining, but increasing, these secrecy
powers.
>When WikiLeaks published hundreds of thousands of classified
diplomatic cables in 2010, government defenders were quick to insist
that most of those documents were banal and uninteresting. And that’s
true: most (though by no means all) of those cables contained nothing of
significance. That, by itself, should have been a scandal. All of those
documents were designated as “secret”, making it a crime for government
officials to reveal their contents – despite how insignificant most of
it was. That revealed how the US government reflexively – really
automatically – hides anything and everything it does behind this wall
of secrecy: they have made it a felony to reveal even the most
inconsequential and pedestrian information about its actions.
>This is why whistleblowing – or, if you prefer, unauthorized leaks of
>classified information – has become so vital to preserving any residual
>amounts of transparency. Given how subservient the federal judiciary is to
>government secrecy claims, it is not hyperbole to describe
unauthorized leaks as the only real avenue remaining for learning about
what the US government does – particularly for discovering the bad acts
it commits. That is why the Obama administration is waging an
unprecedented war against it – a war that continually escalates – and it is why
it is so threatening.
>To understand the Obama White House’s obsession with punishing leaks – as
>evidenced by its historically unprecedented war on whistleblowers – just
>consider how virtually every significant revelation of the bad
acts of the US government over the last decade came from this process.
Unauthorized leaks are how we learned about the Bush administration’s
use of torture, the NSA’s illegal eavesdropping on Americans without the
warrants required by the criminal law, the abuses at Abu Ghraib, the secret
network of CIA “black sites” beyond the reach of law or human rights
monitoring, the targeting by Obama of a US citizen for assassination without
due process,the re-definition of “militant” to mean “any military age male in a
strike zone”, the video of a US Apache helicopter gunning down journalists and
rescuers in Baghdad, the vastly under-counted civilians deaths caused by the
war in Iraq, and the Obama administration’s campaign to pressure Germany and
Spain to cease criminal investigations of the US torture regime.
>In light of this, it should not be difficult to understand why the
Obama administration is so fixated on intimidating whistleblowers and
going far beyond any prior administration – including those of the
secrecy-obsessed Richard Nixon and George W Bush – to plug all leaks.
It’s because those methods are the only ones preventing the US
government from doing whatever it wants in complete secrecy and without
any accountability of any kind.
>Silencing government sources is the key to disabling investigative journalism
>and a free press. That is why the New Yorker’s Jane Mayer told whistleblowing
>advocate Jesselyn Radack last April: “when our sources are prosecuted, the
>news-gathering process is
criminalized, so it’s incumbent upon all journalists to speak up.”
>Indeed, if you talk to leading investigative journalists they will
tell you that the Obama war on whistleblowers has succeeded in
intimidating not only journalists’ sources but also investigative
journalists themselves. Just look at the way the DOJ has pursued and threatened
with prison one of the most accomplished and institutionally protected
investigative journalists in the country – James Risen – and it’s easy
to see why the small amount of real journalism done in the US, most
driven by unauthorized leaks, is being severely impeded. This morning’s
Washington Post article on the DOJ’s email snooping to find the NYT’s Stuxnet
source included
this anonymous quote: “People are feeling less open to talking to
reporters given this uptick. There is a definite chilling effect in
government due to these investigations.”
>For authoritarians who view assertions of government power as inherently valid
>and government claims as inherently true, none of this will be bothersome.
>Under that mentality, if the government decrees
that something shall be secret, then it should be secret, and anyone who defies
that dictate should be punished as a felon – or even a traitor. That view is
typically accompanied by the belief that we can and should trust our leaders to
be good and do good even if they exercise power in the dark, so that
transparency is not only unnecessary but undesirable.
>But the most basic precepts of human nature, political
science, and the American founding teach that power exercised in the
dark will be inevitably abused. Secrecy is the linchpin of abuse of
power. That’s why those who wield political power are always driven to
destroy methods of transparency. About this fact, Thomas Jefferson wrote in an
1804 letter to John Tyler [emphasis added]:
>“Our first object should therefore be, to leave open to
him all the avenues of truth. The most effectual hitherto found, is
freedom of the press. It is therefore, the first shut up by those who fear the
investigation of their actions.”
>About all that, Yale law professor David A Schultz observed: “For Jefferson, a
>free press was the tool of public criticism. It held
public officials accountable, opening them up to the judgment of people
who could decide whether the government was doing good or whether it had
anything to hide. . . . A democratic and free society is dependent upon the
media to inform.”
>There should be no doubt that destroying this method of transparency – not
>protection of legitimate national security secrets- is the primary
effect, and almost certainly the intent, of this unprecedented war on
whistleblowers. Just consider the revelations that have prompted the
Obama DOJ’s war on whistleblowers, whereby those who leak are not merely being
prosecuted, but threatened with decades or even life in prison
for “espionage” or “aiding the enemy”.
>Does anyone believe it would be better if we remained ignorant about
the massive waste, corruption and illegality plaguing the NSA’s secret
domestic eavesdropping program (Thomas Drake); or the dangerously inept CIA
effort to infiltrate the Iranian nuclear program but which ended up assisting
that program (Jeffrey Sterling); or the overlooking of torture squads in Iraq,
the gunning down of
journalists and rescuers in Baghdad, or the pressure campaign to stop
torture investigations in Spain and Germany (Bradley Manning); or the decision
by Obama to wage cyberwar on Iran, which the Pentagon itself considers an act
of war (current DOJ investigation)?
>Like all of the Obama leak prosecutions – see here -none of those revelations
>resulted in any tangible harm, yet all
revealed vital information about what our government was doing in
secret. As long-time DC lawyer Abbe Lowell, who represents indicted
whistleblower Stephen Kim, put it: what makes the Obama DOJ’s prosecutions
historically unique is that they “don’t distinguish between bad people – people
who spy for other governments,
people who sell secrets for money – and people who are accused of having
conversations and discussions”. Not only doesn’t it draw this
distinction, but it is focused almost entirely on those who leak in
order to expose wrongdoing and bring about transparency and
accountability.
>That is the primary impact of all of this. A Bloomberg report last October on
>this intimidation campaign summarized the objections this way: “the
>president’s crackdown chills dissent, curtails a free press and betrays
>Obama’s initial promise to ‘usher in a new era of open government.’”
>The Obama administration does not dislike leaks of classified information. To
>the contrary, it is a prolific exploiter of exactly those types of leaks –
>when they can be used to propagandize the citizenry to glorify the
president’s image as a tough guy, advance his political goals or produce a
multi-million-dollar Hollywood film about his greatest conquest.
Leaks are only objectionable when they undercut that propaganda by
exposing government deceit, corruption and illegality.
>***
>As FAIR put it this week, whatever else is true: “The only person to do time
>for the CIA’s torture policies appears to be a
guy who spoke publicly about them, not any of the people who did the
actual torturing.”
>Despite zero evidence of any harm from his disclosures, the federal
judge presiding over his case – the reliably government-subservient US
District Judge Leonie Brinkema – said she “would have given Kiriakou
much more time if she could.” As usual, the only real criminals in the
government are those who expose or condemn its wrongdoing.
>Exactly the same happened with revelations by the New York Times of
the illegal Bush NSA warrantless eavesdropping program. None of the
officials who eavesdropped on Americans without the warrants required by law
were prosecuted. The telecoms that illegally cooperated were
retroactively immunized from all legal accountability by the US
Congress. The only person to suffer recriminations from that
scandal was Thomas Tamm, the mid-level DOJ official who discovered the
program and told the New York Times about it, and then had his life ruined with
vindictive investigations.
>This Obama whistleblower war has nothing to do with national
security. It has nothing to do with punishing those who harm the country with
espionage or treason.
>It has everything to do with destroying those who expose high-level government
>wrongdoing. It is particularly devoted to preserving the government’s ability
abuse its power in secret by intimidating and deterring future acts of
whistleblowing and impeding investigative journalism. This Obama
whistleblower war continues to escalate because it triggers no
objections from Republicans (who always adore government secrecy) or
Democrats (who always adore what Obama does), but most of all because it
triggers so few objections from media outlets, which – at least in
theory – suffer the most from what is being done.
And see this.
When the government acts like a “protection racket” – and pretends that the
truth is too complicated or dangerous for the public to know – we’re in real
trouble.
As Kiriakou points out:
President Obama just like president Bush has made a
conscious decision to allow the torturers, to allow the people who
conceived of the tortures and implemented the policy, to allow the
people who destroyed the evidence of the torture and the attorneys who
used specious legal analysis to approve of the torture to walk free.
>***
>In this post 9/11 atmosphere that we find ourselves in we have been
losing our civil liberties incrementally over the last decade to the
point where we don’t even realize how much of a police state the United States
has become.Ten years ago the thought of the National Security Agency spying on
American citizens and intercepting their emails would have been anathema to
Americans and now it’s just a part of normal business.
>The idea that our government would be using drone aircraft to
assassinate American citizens who have never seen the inside of a
courtroom, who have never been charged with a crime and have not had due
process which is their constitutional right would have been
unthinkable. And it is something now that happens every year, every so
often, every few weeks, every few months and there is no public outrage. I
think this is a very dangerous development.