American Friends Service Committee of Western
Massachusetts<http://greenhouse.economics.utah.edu/pipermail/marxism/2013-September/152968.html>
Inside the Syrian Revolution and What the Left Must Do

Home <http://afscwm.org/> → Campaign
Information<http://afscwm.org/category/campaign-information/>
 → Inside the Syrian Revolution and What the Left Must Do

*[image: Dr. Yasser
Munif]<http://www.emerson.edu/academics/departments/liberal-arts-interdisciplinary-studies/faculty?faculty_id=3004>A
Conversation with Yasser Munif: Inside the Syrian Revolution and What the
Left Must Do*

I was fortunate enough to have Dr. Yasser Munif, professor at Emerson
College<http://www.emerson.edu/academics/departments/liberal-arts-interdisciplinary-studies/faculty?faculty_id=3004>,
call into The Declaration <http://afscwm.org/declaration-radio/> radio show
tonight. He has recently visited Syria, witnessed the revolution there, and
has spoken and written about it (including an interview with scholar Nigel
Gibson at
Jadaliyya.<http://www.jadaliyya.com/pages/index/6927/frantz-fanon-and-the-arab-uprisings_an-interview-w>)
We talked about what he saw, the troubles facing revolutionaries in Syria,
the very oppositional distinction between revolutionaries and jihadists,
and more. And we talked about the Left’s perception of what’s going on, and
how so many are getting it wrong on Syria.
On September 5, 2013   /   Campaign
Information<http://afscwm.org/category/campaign-information/>
, Declaration <http://afscwm.org/category/declaration/>,
Radio<http://afscwm.org/category/declaration/radio/>
/   Leave a comment <http://afscwm.org/2013/09/05/syrianrevolution/#respond>

http://syriafreedomforever.wordpress.com/
Radio interview of Yasser Munif: inside the Syrian Revolution and What the
Left Must
Do<http://syriafreedomforever.wordpress.com/2013/09/07/radio-interview-of-yasser-munif-inside-the-syrian-revolution-and-what-the-left-must-do/>
Posted on September 7,
2013<http://syriafreedomforever.wordpress.com/2013/09/07/radio-interview-of-yasser-munif-inside-the-syrian-revolution-and-what-the-left-must-do/>
<http://syriafreedomforever.wordpress.com/2013/09/07/radio-interview-of-yasser-munif-inside-the-syrian-revolution-and-what-the-left-must-do/#respond>

*A Conversation with Yasser Munif: Inside the Syrian Revolution and What
the Left Must Do*

Dr. Yasser Munif, professor at Emerson
College<http://www.emerson.edu/academics/departments/liberal-arts-interdisciplinary-studies/faculty?faculty_id=3004>,
has
recently visited Syria, witnessed the revolution there, and has spoken and
written about it (including an interview with scholar Nigel Gibson at
Jadaliyya.<http://www.jadaliyya.com/pages/index/6927/frantz-fanon-and-the-arab-uprisings_an-interview-w>)
He talks about what he saw, the troubles facing revolutionaries in Syria,
the very oppositional distinction between revolutionaries and jihadists,
and more. And he talked about the Left’s perception of what’s going on, and
how so many are getting it wrong on Syria.

Listen to the interview on the following link:

http://afscwm.org/2013/09/05/syrianrevolution/

A passage from the interview:
“Yasser Munif: This summer I actually spent two months in Syria, in
northern Syria, the liberated area, and it was a very humbling experience.
I learned a lot and I saw a popular revolution, an ongoing popular
revolution. People are rebuilding institutions, they are managing their
cities after the fall of the state and the regime, and it is a very
challenging task to do because there are no resources, there is no funding,
and there are permanent attacks by the regime. Those areas I’m talking
about in the north are liberated: there are no clashes on the ground. But
there are constant airstrikes and missiles are launched on these cities.

So people are coming up with creative solutions: they are creating
political institutions. There are local councils in each one of those
cities and they meet on a weekly basis. They discuss everything in the city
and they try to solve their problems.

And so there are millions of people who hear the media in the West and
elsewhere talking about civil war and so on, and most of these people
reject those labels. They believe there is a popular revolution in Syria.
It’s true that it’s at a critical period and there are challenging tasks
ahead of them, and there are jihadists who are trying to undermine their
work, and obviously the regime… “