Damascus “Welcomes Russia’s Initiative On Chemical Weapons”

Syrian Foreign Minister Walid Al Muallem has responded positively to a
proposal <http://ria.ru/arab_riot/20130909/962011916.html> by his Russian
counterpart, Sergei Lavrov, regarding the possibility of transferring
Syria’s chemical weapons stocks to international supervision.

RIA Novosti quotes Al Muallem — currently in Moscow for talks with Lavrov —
as saying:

*During talks with Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov, he launched an
initiative related to chemical weapons. I listened carefully to his
statement. In regard to that, I declare that the Syrian Arab Republic
welcomes Russia’s initiative, on the basis that the Syrian leadership cares
about the lives of our citizens and the security in our country.*
**

*We are also confident in the wisdom of the Russian government, which is
trying to prevent American aggression against our people.
*

Moscow Calls On Syria To Transfer Chemical Weapons To International
Supervision

Russia’s Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov on Monday called on the Assad
regime<http://ria.ru/arab_riot/20130909/961993979.html> to
transfer its chemical weapons to international supervision to avoid a U.S.
military strike, RIA Novosti reports.

“If by establishing international control over chemical weapons [in Syria]
allows a strike to be avoided, then we will immediately work with
Damascus,” – Lavrov said, according to RIA.

Interfax has a slightly different
version<http://www.interfax.ru/world/news.asp?id=327946> of
the quote, reporting that Lavrov began by noting that “We don’t know if
Damascus will agree to this or not” regarding the matter of chemical
weapons stocks being transferred to international control.

RIA goes on to quote Lavrov as saying:

“We call on the Syrian leadership to not only agree on a statement
regarding the storage of chemical weapons under international supervision,
but also their subsequent destruction, as well as regarding [Syria's] full
accession to the Organization for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons.”

Lavrov added that Russia had already submitted a proposal to this affect to
Syrian Foreign Minister Walid Al Muallem, who is currently in Moscow for
talks, and that the Russian Foreign Ministry “look[ed] forward to a speedy
and hopefully positive response.”

So far, Moscow has maintained the line that the Assad regime was not
responsible for the August 21 attacks, and that that U.S. needed to provide
incontrovertible proof of Damascus’s culpability.

This move seems to indicate that Moscow may not be sure that this line will
hold, it is trying a new gambit to avoid a strike. Taking advantage of the
presence of Al Muallem in Moscow, it is calling John Kerry’s bluff — if it
is a bluff — that intervention will be suspended if Syria gives up its
chemical weapons. For this tactic to work, however, Damascus has to agree
to do its part, admitting again that it holds chemical weapons, revealing
the extent of those stocks, and admitting that is willing to renounce them.

http://eaworldview.com/2013/09/syria-today-assad-v-kerry-the-quest-for-international-support/