There is really NO (or Very Little) interest (so far at least) in preventing a
Full-Blown Police State.
Sooo 1984 – (and Brave New World, etc., etc.) Here We Come!

From: newbluebluewo...@yahoogroups.com
[mailto:newbluebluewo...@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Greg Dempsey
Sent: Wednesday, September 25, 2013 3:33 PM
To: greg dempsey
Subject: [NewBlueBlueWorld] *? 2 ALL: DO YOU THINK WE CAN PREVENT A FULL-BLOWN
POLICE STATE?*

<http://admin.alternet.org/files/styles/story_image/public/story_images/popo.jpg>

Photo Credit: Shutterstock.com/Eugene Ivanov

It's our duty to save democracy from the

authoritarianism emerging from the

Executive Branch – AlterNet

Hi Team!

*? 2 ALL:

DO YOU THINK WE CAN PREVENT A FULL-BLOWN POLICE STATE?*

 http://www.finalcall.com/artman/uploads/2/police_state06-12-2012.jpg

AlterNet reports:

For those alarmed by the steady growth of lawless, violent and authoritarian
U.S. Executive power for the last 50 years, the events of the past few months
have been exciting. The emergence of a de facto coalition of progressives and
conservatives opposing the  National Defense Authorization Act law giving the
Executive the right to unilaterally detain or execute American citizens without
a trial, and  NSA mass surveillance of phone and Internet data, has been
unprecedented, and offers the first hope in 70 years that Executive power can
be curbed

  <http://tommytoy.typepad.com/.a/6a0133f3a4072c970b0162ff305a6f970d-550wi>

The most important development has been the public and congressional reaction
to President Obama's proposal to strike Syria. A huge majority of the American
people opposed even a limited military action by the Executive Branch. Reading
the polls, the President decided to seek congressional authorization for a
limited military action. For the first time in living memory, Congress clearly
opposed him. It is too soon to say what this will mean for the future, but the
implications clearly extend beyond just this particular strike or President.

<http://www.secretsofthefed.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/173-0607120520-police_dees.jpg>

The main arena besides the Middle East where the issue of the Executive Branch
vs. Congress and the American people will play out in coming months will
concern attempts to limit not only Executive surveillance of innocent
Americans, but its other assaults on the very foundation of democracy itself.

The fundamental issue involved amidst the ongoing  cascade of revelations about
NSA wrongdoing is this: what must be done to roll back the Executive Branch's
creation of a surveillance state, which is just one more major economic crisis
or 9/11—as even centrists like  Bob Woodward and Tom Friedman warn—from
becoming a police-state.

Most of the focus until now has been on trying to absorb the dimensions of the
surveillance state we have suddenly learned we are living in since  June 6 .
But it is now time to focus on the actions needed to end its assaults on
democracy.

<http://www.thenation.com/sites/default/files/user/20/TMW2013-06-12colorLARGE.jpg>

This is not a simple question, either politically or technically. Politically,
it is impossible to envision ending the surveillance state without a broad
left-right coalition both in Congress and among the public devoted to doing so.
But it will be difficult to maintain a coalition of progressives and Tea
Partiers, liberals and conservatives, who neither trust nor respect one
another—particularly when fought by an Executive that will hit back against
attempts to control it with everything it has.

The technical questions are even trickier. How does Congress write and pass
laws to prevent Executive Agencies from undertaking surveillance and population
control measures when, to paraphrase Congressman  Keith Ellison, "Congress
doesn't know what it doesn't know"? How can Congress control Executive
wrongdoing when Executive officials invoke the mantra of national security to
avoid providing it with information?

<http://www.hangthebankers.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/The-surveillance-state.jpg>

Had Edward Snowden not risked life imprisonment or worse to reveal that the
U.S. Executive Branch has created a surveillance state, we would still know
virtually nothing about it. The ranking Senate and House Intelligence committee
chairs, Dianne Feinstein and Mike Rogers, would still be covering up Executive
wrongdoing, and even those members angered at its criminality would still be
muzzled from saying anything. The Judiciary would still not only be
rubberstamping Executive actions, but expanding Executive Branch power. The
mass media would still be routinely conveying its denials of wrongdoing to the
American people whenever the issue arose. (continued below)

  <http://i.imgur.com/6Xxil.jpg>

We live under a total surveillance state in America -- can we prevent it from
evolving into a full-blown police state? If so, how? If not, why not?

Greg Dempsey
 <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SECULARHUMANIST/>
Voice of the People

No virus found in this message.