The Biotechs already have voluntary labeling, that's why they pour
millions into NOT labeling GMO products, it would be bad for business if
we knew and stopped purchasing from them- Scott

"Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D-Mass.) and Sen. Mark Udall (D-Colo.) have
signaled support for FDA guidance on voluntary labeling of GMOs. A move to
protect consumers? Hardly."
____________

Is this email not displaying correctly?
View it in your browser [ http://www.organicconsumers.org/bytes/ob396.html ].

Subscribe & Read Past Issues [
http://www.organicconsumers.org/organicbytes.cfm ] | OCA Homepage [
http://www.organicconsumers.org ] | Donate [
http://www.organicconsumers.org/donations.cfm ] Follow Us On Facebook [
http://www.facebook.com/organicconsumers ] Follow OCA on Twitter [
http://twitter.com/OrganicConsumer ] OCA on Pinterest [
https://pinterest.com/organicconsumer/ ] Follow OCA on Twitter [
http://www.youtube.com/user/organicconsumer ]

ESSAY OF THE WEEK

FDA's Voluntary GMO Labeling is Good for Monsanto, Bad for Consumers

While consumers battle on for laws mandating the labeling of genetically
modified organisms (GMOs) in food products, some lawmakers are taking the
GMO labeling debate in a different direction. And it's a direction that's
anything but consumer friendly.

Last month, Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D-Mass.) and Sen. Mark Udall (D-Colo.)
asked [ http://www.warren.senate.gov/files/documents/FDALetter.pdf ] the
U.S. Food & Drug Administration to finalize its 2001 guidance on voluntary
labeling of GMOs.

The senators advertised their request as a move intended to benefit you,
the consumer. But in fact, a federal voluntary labeling plan plays right
into the hands of the biotech and big food industries.

Sorry, Senators. But voluntary will never be the new mandatory.

If the FDA heeds the request of Senators Warren and Udall, we could see
the end of states' rights to label GMOs. And the end of non-GMO
certification and labeling. Not exactly the consumer-friendly sort of
advocating we're looking for.

Read the essay [ http://www.organicconsumers.org/articles/article_28376.cfm ]

ACTION ALERT

Whose Side Are They on, Anyway?

It's a pretty safe bet that if Monsanto and the Grocery Manufacturers
Association (GMA), two of the largest funders of campaigns to defeat GMO
labeling, are in favor of something, that "something" won't be good for
you.

Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D-Mass.) and Sen. Mark Udall (D-Colo.) have
signaled [ http://www.warren.senate.gov/files/documents/FDALetter.pdf ]
support for FDA guidance on voluntary labeling of GMOs. A move to protect
consumers? Hardly. After all, Monsanto [
http://www.monsanto.com/newsviews/Pages/food-labeling.aspx ] and the GMA [
http://www.idfa.org/news--views/headline-news/details/8482/ ] also want
the FDA to finalize its voluntary guidance on GMO labeling. And that
wouldn't be true unless the biotech and food industries thought there was
something in it for them.

What might that something be? Perhaps the path to preemption of states'
rights to label GMOs. Or the end of certified non-GMO labels. Or maybe
both.

Sometimes it makes sense to contact senators outside your own state,
especially when they're advocating for a law that could hurt all
consumers.

This is one of those times. Please sign our petition below, and forward it
widely. Then pick up the phone and ask Senators Warren and Udall to side
with you, not Monsanto and the GMA, by supporting state and federal
mandatory GMO labeling laws.

TAKE ACTION: Tell Senators Warren and Udall: FDA's Voluntary GMO Labeling
is Good for Monsanto, Bad for Consumers [
http://petitions.moveon.org/sign/tell-senators-warren?source=c.url&r_by=5382364
]

Call Sen. Warren (202) 224-4543 and Sen. Udall at  (202) 224-5941

I-522 UPDATE

Poisoning Minds

For more than two decades, Monsanto has been poisoning our water, our
soil, our food.

But right now, the Biotech Bully is focused on one thing: Poisoning the
minds of voters in Washington State - voters who are still on the fence
about I-522, an initiative to label GMOs in food sold in grocery stores.

Last week, Monsanto and friends launched a statewide, anti-labeling,
anti-I-522 ad blitz. It looks a lot like the $46-million worth of
negative, deceitful ads they unleashed last year this time in California.
Ads that helped defeat California's GMO labeling initiative.

Monsanto, DuPont, Dow, Bayer, BASF and the Grocery Manufacturers
Association (representing the junk food gang) are footing the bill. With
almost $12 million (so far) to spend, they're running ads that are
dishonest and misleading. But clever. And convincing.

If you're a busy mom or college student, a distracted worker with too much
on your everyday plate, you might be hearing "GMO" for the first time.
>From Monsanto. The lies Monsanto will feed you – that labeling will cost
you money, that farmers and grocers will be hurt – just might resonate.

If you never see or hear the truth, from the YES on I-522 campaign, you
could be one of the voters who checks the "NO" box.

That's what we're up against, today, in Washington State. And that's why
we need your help. Today. Your donation will help us dilute the poison.
And win this seminal GMO labeling battle. Thank you!

Donate to the Organic Consumers Fund [
https://salsa3.salsalabs.com/o/50865/p/salsa/donation/common/public/?donate_page_KEY=10135
] (non-tax-deductible, but necessary for our legislative efforts in
Washington, Vermont and other states)

Donate to the Organic Consumers Association [
https://salsa3.salsalabs.com/o/50865/p/salsa/donation/common/public/?donate_page_KEY=10174
] (tax-deductible, helps support our work on behalf of organic standards,
fair trade and public education)

CAMPAIGN UPDATE

Good Riddance. We Hope

It's not a done deal yet. But we're close to scoring a huge victory: the
end of the Monsanto Protection Act.

Yesterday (September 24), Sen. Barbara Mikulski (D-Md.), Chair of the
Senate Committee on Appropriations, proposed an alternative to the House
version of the Continuing Resolution, a bill to fund the federal
government beyond Sept. 30, 2013. Absent from the new-and-improved version
is the Farmers Assurance Provision, that sneaky, Monsanto-friendly "policy
rider" better known as the Monsanto Protection Act [
http://www.organicconsumers.org/articles/article_27551.cfm ].

On Tuesday, Sen. Mark Pryor (D-Ark.) told [
http://www.organicconsumers.org/articles/article_28382.cfm ] Poltico:
"That provision will be gone."

Gone from the Senate version. But will the House approve the Senate's new
Continuing Resolution? With more than 30 hours [
http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/sen-ted-cruz-ends-his-talkathon/2013/09/25/4fcf8b66-25f3-11e3-ad0d-b7c8d2a594b9_story.html
] of debate to go, there's no guarantee the Senate and House will come to
terms on any new bill. Much less one without the Monsanto Protection Act.

In the meantime, we hope. And we keep up the pressure on our Senators

TAKE ACTION: Tell Congress to Vote No on the Continuing Resolution unless
the Monsanto Protection Act is removed [
http://salsa3.salsalabs.com/o/50865/p/dia/action3/common/public/?action_KEY=11998
]

ACTION ALERT

Let's Up the Buzz to Protect the Bees!

The OCA, along with Friends of the Earth, SumofUs.org and other protectors
of the environment have called on Home Depot and Lowe's to stop selling
plants coated in neonicotinoids. Neonics, as they're not-so-affectionately
called, are a class of pesticides considered largely responsible [
http://www.organicconsumers.org/articles/article_5375.cfm ] for killing
off the honeybee.

So far, neither Home Depot nor Lowe's has responded to our petitions. So
we've designated this week as "Swarm Home Depot and Lowe's Week." How can
you help? By tapping the power of social media, of course.

Here's what to do. First, visit Home Depot [
https://www.facebook.com/homedepot ] and Lowe's [
https://www.facebook.com/lowes ] on facebook and ask them to stop selling
bee-killing pesticides and pre-poisoned bee-friendly plants.

Next take to twitter. Here are a couple of tweets for inspiration, but you
can create your own messages, too.

@homedepot @lowes: 1 out of3 bites of food need #bees! Stop selling
bee-killing pesticides! #BeeAction @foe_us www.beeaction.org [
https://twitter.com/intent/tweet?text=%40homedepot+%40lowes%3A+2%2F3+of+our+food+crops+need+%23bees!+Stop+selling+bee-killing+pesticides!+%23BeeAction+%40foe_us+www.beeaction.org&source=clicktotweet
]

Buzz kill: @Home Depot @Lowes: stop selling bee-killing pesticides
#BeeAction @foe_us: www.beeaction.org [
https://twitter.com/intent/tweet?text=Buzz+kill%3A+%40Home+Depot+%40Lowes%3A+stop+selling+bee-killing+pesticides++%23BeeAction+%40foe_us%3A+www.beeaction.org&source=clicktotweet
]

And of course, sign the petition if you haven't already. And forward it to
a friend.

TAKE ACTION: Home Depot and Lowe's: Stop Selling Bee-Killing Garden
Plants! [
http://petitions.moveon.org/sign/home-depot-and-lowes?source=c.url&r_by=5382364
]

FARM BILL UPDATE

Farm Bill on Life Support. Again.

The 2013 Farm Bill still has a pulse, but not much of one.

On September 19, the U.S. House of Representatives passed its version of
the bill. It contains almost $40 billion over 10 years in cuts to the
Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP), the main food assistance
program that used to be called food stamps.

Now what? The current Farm Bill expires on September 30. With only a few
days left it's not likely the House and Senate will agree on, and pass, a
new five-year bill. Dale Moore, the executive director of public policy
for the American Farm Bureau Federation, told [
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/25/us/politics/time-short-house-says-it-seeks-new-farm-bill.html?_r=0
] the New York Times this week, "Right now, we're just hoping that
something will get done before the end of the year."

Cutting benefits for the poor to give subsidies to the rich agribusinesses
doesn't seem like something that should "get done." Nor does passing a
bill that contains an amendment that could overturn states' rights to
label GMOs.

The OCA has joined an 80+ coalition that is calling on lawmakers to oppose
the King Amendment [
http://www.organicconsumers.org/articles/article_28369.cfm ], Sec. 11312
of H.R. 2642, a provision to the House-approved version of the Farm Bill
that could wipe out countless state laws and rules regulating agriculture
and food labeling.

If you haven't yet signed our petition asking Congress to reject the King
Amendment, or any federal legislation that would stomp on states' rights
to label GMOs, now would be a good time.

Read the press release [
http://www.organicconsumers.org/articles/article_28366.cfm ]

TAKE ACTION: Tell Congress: Don't Pass a Farm Bill that Lets Monsanto Wipe
Out State GMO Labeling Laws! [
http://petitions.moveon.org/sign/congress-dont-pass-a?source=c.url&r_by=5382364
]

Groups Plan Anti-Monsanto World Food Day Events

Can't think of a better way to celebrate World Food Day than to stick it
to Monsanto. En masse.

Two groups - March against Monsanto and and Moms Across America - are
targeting the Biotech Bully during the week of October 12 – 18. No
strangers to Monsanto protests, both groups have organized marches in the
past. And generated global participation. And global publicity.

You know how it goes. The more the merrier. And the more powerful. How
about finding an event near you? And corralling your friends and family,
too?

Join a Moms Across America World Food Day Event [
http://www.momsacrossamerica.com/events_all ]

Join a March Against Monsanto World Food Day Event [
https://www.facebook.com/events/323007944497400/ ]

One Down, One to Go

Thanks to tens of thousands of consumers like you, the National Organic
Standards Board (NOSB) gave a thumbs down to extending the deadline for
getting tetracycline out of organic pears and apples. The NOSB ruled [
http://www.ams.usda.gov/AMSv1.0/getfile?dDocName=STELPRDC5099716 ] earlier
this year that growers will have to stop using tetracycline after Oct. 21,
2014.

Great news. But, oops. One more thing. The NOSB is still considering
allowing growers to use streptomycin until 2016, instead of requiring them
to adhere to the original 2014 deadline. So it looks like they need to
hear from us again. By October 1.

Consuming fruits sprayed with streptomycin exposes our healthy gut flora
to risk, increasing our chances of developing resistance to an antibiotic
that's critical for treating tuberculosis, tularemia, plague, bacterial
endocarditis, brucellosis and other diseases. Growers use the antibiotic
to fight fire blight, a bacterial disease that kills the shoots of apple
and pear trees. But there are other, better ways [
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ta6BXnUnX4I ] to fight fire blight.

TAKE ACTION: Tell the NOSB to Get Streptomycin Out of Organic Apples and
Pears! [ http://www.organicconsumers.org/ocaactions.cfm?actionnum=9888 ]

LITTLE BYTES

Essential Reading for the Week

9 Nastiest Things in the Meat You Eat [
http://www.organicconsumers.org/articles/article_28363.cfm ]

U.S. Department of Agriculture Guts National Organic Law [
http://www.organicconsumers.org/articles/article_28358.cfm ]

Report Urges OB/GYNs to Ask Pregnant Women About Exposure to Risky
Environmental Chemicals [
http://www.organicconsumers.org/articles/article_28379.cfm ]

How Factory Farms May Be Killing Us [
http://www.organicconsumers.org/articles/article_28355.cfm ]

A Toddler on 3 Different Psychiatric Meds? How Drugging Kids Became Big
Business [ http://www.organicconsumers.org/articles/article_28354.cfm ]
 [ http://www.organicconsumers.org/articles/article_28174.cfm ]

General Mills, ConAgra Report, and Big Food Suffer Losses in Wake of GMO
Controversy
 [ http://www.organicconsumers.org/articles/article_28360.cfm ]

Do your herbal and food supplements have these
unique qualities?  [ http://www.metaorganics.com/index.html ]
  * 100% Synthetic Free Formulas
  * Ethically farmed or wild-crafted and fairly traded
  * Easy to swallow small tablets made with Pur-Tab® method, containing
no excipients, preservatives, allergenic or synthetic ingredients
  * Supported by hundreds of studies in third party peer-reviewed journals
and by extensive clinical trials
  * Produced in state-of-the-art facilities certified to pharmaceutical
good manufacturing practices (GMP) and ISO and Organic Certification
  * Sourced from unpolluted pristine agricultural regions and farms
  * Potency of every ingredient fully disclosed on the label panel
  * Made from fresh raw plants never heated over 100 degrees
  * Easy to digest, containing all of the plant's active, living bioactives
  * Highest naturally occurring potency at the same or better pricing as
non-concentrated powdered powdered herbal and nutrient formulas
  * Full spectrum standardized extracts
  * Identification of herbs done with chromatography and contemporary
analysis to ensure purity, consistency, and active potencies of herbal
and food species
  * Herbs subjected to Organoleptic testing to confirm specifications
  * Microbiological testing ensures that the herbs do not have harmful
bacteria or contaminants
Learn more [ http://www.metaorganics.com/index.html ]

 follow on Twitter [ https://twitter.com/OrganicConsumer ] | friend on
Facebook [ https://www.facebook.com/organicconsumers ] | OCA on Pinterest
[ https://pinterest.com/organicconsumer/ ] | Donate [
http://www.organicconsumers.org/donations.cfm ] Please forward this
publication to family and friends, place it on web sites,
print it, duplicate it and post it freely. Knowledge is power!

Organic Bytes is a publication of Organic Consumers Association [
http://www.organicconsumers.org/ ]

6771 South Silver Hill Drive - Finland, MN 55603 - Phone: 218-226-4164 -
Fax: 218-353-7652

You are subscribed as:
Supporter
scotpe...@cruzio.com