Subscribe & Read Past Issues [
http://www.organicconsumers.org/organicbytes.cfm ] | OCA Homepage [
http://www.organicconsumers.org ] | Donate [
http://www.organicconsumers.org/donations.cfm ] Follow Us On Facebook [
http://www.facebook.com/organicconsumers ] Follow OCA on Twitter [
http://twitter.com/OrganicConsumer ] OCA on Pinterest [
https://pinterest.com/organicconsumer/ ] Follow OCA on Twitter [
http://www.youtube.com/user/organicconsumer ]

Moms Fight Back against GMA Money Laundering

You know what they say. You can't fool mom.

When a group of pro-labeling moms in Washington D.C. figured out that the
Grocery Manufacturers Association (GMA) was breaking the state's campaign
finance disclosure laws, they did something about it. They formed a
grassroots group, Moms for Labeling, and they sued [
http://momsforlabeling.files.wordpress.com/2013/09/complaint.pdf ] the
GMA.

Their complaint? The GMA is concealing the identities of out-of-state
corporations, namely Big Food companies, which are funneling donations to
the NO on I-522 campaign through the multi-billion dollar Washington
D.C.-based lobbying group. The Moms had a whistleblower lined up to
testify. But then the judge dismissed [
http://blog.seattlepi.com/seattlepolitics/2013/10/04/corporate-laundering-suit-dismissed-for-now/
] their case, on a technicality.

You'd think that would have been enough to make the GMA happy, but no. The
lobbying giant went after the Moms with a countersuit, prompting a judge
to slap [ http://www.organicconsumers.org/articles/article_28452.cfm ] the
Moms with a $10,000 fine, under a law [
http://slog.thestranger.com/slog/archives/2013/09/26/no-on-522-campaign-files-countersuit-against-moms-for-labeling
] that is supposed to protect citizens from frivolous suits by big
companies.

End of story? Not yet. In dismissing the suit, the judge ruled that under
the circumstances, only the state attorney general now has the authority
to sue the GMA for violating Washington's Public Disclosure Act.

The NO on I-522 campaign has so far raised $17.1 million [
http://seattletimes.com/html/localnews/2021941264_gmomoneyxml.html ] to
blanket the airwaves with lies, as it tries to scare voters into voting
against the I-522 GMO labeling initiative. The GMA, which represents over
300 corporations including Kraft, Kellogg's, Monsanto, Dupont, Starbucks,
PepsiCo, Coca-Cola, ConAgra and General Mills, has kicked in $7.2 million
so far – $5 million more than the lobbying group spent last year in
California, to defeat a similar GMO labeling initiative.

Who's missing from the NO on I-522 donor roster this year? The junk food
giants who spent millions [
http://www.organicconsumers.org/articles/article_26620.cfm ] last year,
but this year, are hiding their donations from public view.

Let's pick up where the Moms for Labeling left off, by insisting that
Washington's attorney general force the GMA to comply with the state's
campaign disclosure laws.

TAKE ACTION: Tell Washington State's Attorney General: Investigate the
GMA's Money Laundering Scheme, Don't Punish Moms! [
http://www.organicconsumers.org/ocaactions.cfm?actionnum=10227 ]

OCA IN ACTION

OCA Presents Monsanto Minions Awards, Stages Anti-Lobbying Protest

Today's the day. The OCA, with our friends at Occupy Monsanto, will
deliver the first annual Monsanto Minions Awards.

But that's only half the story. Remember Abbie Hoffman's famous 1967 New
York Stock Exchange theatrical protest [
http://www.nashuatelegraph.com/news/930301-196/daily-twip---abbie-hoffman-and-fellow.html
]? Where Hoffman and the Yippies threw cash out on the trading floor,
prompting a Wall Street-style dash for cash?

Today, (October 10, 2013), our pro-GMO labeling, anti-Monsanto activists,
posing as biotech and big food industry lobbyists, will stage a similar
protest. They'll dump briefcases of cash onto the X-ray machines at the
entrances to the Congressional office buildings, where lobbyists are
waiting to go through the metal detectors. We're hoping the real corporate
lobbyists will lunge for the fluttering bills, causing enough of a ruckus
to shut down the entrance.

Lobbyists scurrying to grab dollar bills? It's the perfect metaphor for
what's happening right now on Capitol Hill. Despite the government
shutdown, lobbyists are meeting [
http://www.politico.com/story/2013/10/government-shutdown-lobbyists-97686.html
] with the Congresspersons they supported financially during the elections
in the hopes of convincing them - with cold hard cash, no doubt -  to
create or protect federal laws designed to feather their own nests.

As for the Monsanto Minions Awards, according to your votes, we're
crowning Rep. Steve King (R-Iowa) as your favorite Monsanto Minion.  You
can see the rest of the results here [
http://www.organicconsumers.org/articles/article_28484.cfm ]. Thanks for
voting, and let's keep up the pressure on our favorite minions!

Read the press release [
http://www.organicconsumers.org/articles/article_28479.cfm ]

More on the Monsanto Minions Award [
http://www.organicconsumers.org/articles/article_28484.cfm ]

I-522 UPDATE

URGENT: Gov. Inslee, Please Get Off the Fence!

Voting starts in 8 days. It ends on Nov. 5. But Washington State Governor
Jay Inslee hasn't yet made up his mind on whether or not to support I-522,
Washington State's GMO labeling initiative.

Maybe we (meaning you) can help push him off the fence?

Please call Gov. Inslee today - 360-902-4111. Ask him to support I-522.

Washington State is ground zero for the GMO labeling movement. If we can
pass I-522, the state-wide ballot initiative to label GMOs, we'll send a
clear message to Washington D.C., Monsanto, Big Food, and all 50 state
legislatures: Consumers want GMO labeling laws. And we won't stop until we
get them.

Pick up your phone. Give him a call. 360-902-4111 Thank you!

SUPPORT THE OCA & OCF

For the World

"Consumers ultimately determine what they eat and therefore what the food
system produces." - The State of Food and Agriculture, 2013, published by
the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations.

Next Wednesday, October 16, is World Food Day. A day that marks the
founding of the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations
(FAO).

This year's theme? Sustainable food systems for food security and
nutrition. Tagline: Healthy people depend on healthy food systems.

FAO research tells us that if we want to address world hunger, we must
invest in "sustainable intensification" - not expensive GMO technology
that threatens biodiversity and holds us hostage to a system that depends
on fossil fuels, fossil water, and agrochemicals.

We must stop investing in a system that makes earth and the humans who
inhabit it, sick.

According to the FAO, consumers – you, us – have the power to
determine what our food system produces. By determining what we choose to
eat.

Here in the U.S., the country that grows 40 percent of the world's
genetically engineered crops, our choices are not always so clear. Because
here in the U.S., home of Monsanto - the dominant player in the global GMO
market - food manufacturers are not required to label the genetically
engineered ingredients they put in our food.

We must change the system. You can help, today, by investing in the
movement to require labels on GMOs. Thank you!

Donate to the Organic Consumers Association [
https://salsa3.salsalabs.com/o/50865/p/salsa/donation/common/public/?donate_page_KEY=10174
] (tax-deductible, helps support our work on behalf of organic standards,
fair trade and public education)

Donate to the Organic Consumers Fund [
https://salsa3.salsalabs.com/o/50865/p/salsa/donation/common/public/?donate_page_KEY=10135
] (non-tax-deductible, but necessary for our legislative efforts in
Washington, Vermont and other states)

TRAITOR BOYCOTT

Dishones-tea?

>From a recent article [
http://www.thecoastalsource.com/news/national/honest-tea-ceo-in-pursuit-of-healthier-foods
] featuring Honest Tea co-founder Seth Goldman:

Of course, there can be some tension, as when Coca-Cola recently
campaigned against a measure in California to force companies to label
genetically modified ingredients. Honest Tea favors transparency in
labeling.
Goldman says that "after internal discussions," Coca-Cola will not be
directly lobbying against a similar effort in the state of Washington,
although it is a funder of trade associations arguing against the
labeling.

Seriously? So what's the difference between Coca-Cola, owner of the Honest
Tea brand, "directly" lobbying against Washington State's I-522 ballot
initiative to label GMOs, as opposed to "indirectly" lobbying against
I-522 through hidden donations [
http://www.organicconsumers.org/articles/article_28487.cfm ] to the NO on
I-522 campaign? Donations the junk food giant is funneling through the
Grocery Manufacturers Association?

Last year the GMA plunked down $2 million to defeat a GMO labeling
initiative in California. This year, in Washington State, where experts
agree it will take far less money to saturate the airwaves than it took in
California, the GMA has so far donated $7.2 million to the NO on I-522
campaign. Why so much more? Because the GMA did a special assessment to
raise money from companies like Coca-Cola, who don't want the bad
publicity they got last year when their donations to the No on 37 campaign
were made public.

Let's be honest, Mr. Goldman. Just because Coca-Cola is hiding behind the
GMA's skirts, doesn't mean the junk food giant isn't lobbying against
I-522 in Washington State. If Honest Tea wants to take a real stand for
consumers, you and your company will donate much-needed money to win the
GMO labeling battle in Washington State.

TAKE ACTION: Tell Seth Goldman why you're boycotting Honest Tea and how he
can change your mind [
http://salsa3.salsalabs.com/o/50865/p/dia/action3/common/public/?action_KEY=9123
]

VIDEO OF THE WEEK

The Last Stand of the Orangutan: The Power is in Your Palm

Palm oil is found in roughly half the products sold in grocery stores. Its
production is now one of the leading causes of rainforest destruction
worldwide. And the single biggest threat to orangutans. Our friends at
Rainforest Action Network teamed up with Free Range Studios to produce
this 2-minute video. The video is launching  "The Last Stand of the
Orangutan: The Power is in Your Palm" - a new national campaign to expose
the U.S. snack food industry for putting Conflict Palm Oil into the food
products we buy every day. Please watch and share widely!

Watch the video [ http://ran.org/last-stand-orangutan ]

Read more: Last Stand of the Orangutan | Rainforest Action Network [
http://ran.org/last-stand-orangutan#ixzz2hFVBKxQB ]

WORLD FOOD DAY

Celebrate World Food Day. March Against Monsanto!

Looking for something to do on World Food Day? How about joining in a
protest against Monsanto, the No. 1 enemy of the world's food?

Two groups - March against Monsanto and  Moms Across America - are
targeting the Biotech Bully during the week of October 12 – 18. You can
help them draw attention to Monsanto's destructive ways by joining an
event near you, or organizing your own event. Both groups provide
information about locations, instructions on how to organize an event, and
all the inspiration you need.

Join a Moms Across America World Food Day Event [
http://www.momsacrossamerica.com/events_all ]

Join a March Against Monsanto World Food Day Event [
https://www.facebook.com/events/323007944497400/ ]

Buycott? There's an (OCA) App for That.

You know who the bad guys are. The brands and companies that have pumped
millions into campaigns aimed at defeating your right to know. But there
are a lot of companies on your side, too. The best way to reward those
companies is to buy their products. So we've just made it a little easier
to find them.

The OCA has created "Buy Organic Brands that Support Your Right to Know,"
a campaign on the popular buycott.com [ http://buycott.com/ ] mobile phone
app. It works like this. First, download the app (it's free), and sign up
for our campaign. Then take your mobile phone with you to the store, and
use the app to scan the barcode on products before you buy them. The app
will look up the product, determine what brand it belongs to, and figure
out what company owns that brand .Then it will cross-check the product
owners against the companies and brands included in our "Right to Know"
campaign.

It's free. It's easy. And it sends a powerful message to the corporations
competing for our dollars.

Download the app and join the campaign [
http://buycott.com/campaign/674/buy-organic-brands-that-support-your-right-to-know
]

LITTLE BYTES

Essential Reading for the Week

Preventable Medical Errors: Third Cause of Death in the US [
http://www.organicconsumers.org/articles/article_28485.cfm ]

The Age of Inhuman Scale: on the 'Bigness' of Climate Change [
http://www.organicconsumers.org/articles/article_28466.cfm ]

Cotton in Our Food [
http://www.organicconsumers.org/articles/article_28476.cfm ]

FDA: 30 Million Pounds of Antibiotics Given to Conventional Livestock
Annually [ http://www.organicconsumers.org/articles/article_28486.cfm ]

Criminal Prosecutions Scare Food Industry Executives [
http://www.organicconsumers.org/articles/article_28483.cfm ]
 [ http://www.organicconsumers.org/articles/article_28174.cfm ]

Pharmaceutical Firms Paid to Attend Meetings of Panel That Advises FDA,
E-mails Show
 [ http://www.organicconsumers.org/articles/article_28467.cfm ]

MESSAGE FROM OUR SPONSORS

Dr. Bronner's Magic Pure Castile Classic Soaps
 [ http://www.drbronner.com/ ]

Unlike any you've ever used. A combination of organic extra virgin
coconut, olive, jojoba and hemp oils, together with pure essential oils,
creates a unique soap that cleans effectively without being aggressive and
produces a velvety-lather that leaves the skin silky-smooth and refreshed.

Now available in two new Magic liquid fragrances: Rose [
http://www.drbronner.com/DBMS/ROS.htm ] and Citrus Orange [
http://www.drbronner.com/DBMS/CIT.htm ]

 follow on Twitter [ https://twitter.com/OrganicConsumer ] | friend on
Facebook [ https://www.facebook.com/organicconsumers ] | OCA on Pinterest
[ https://pinterest.com/organicconsumer/ ] | Donate [
http://www.organicconsumers.org/donations.cfm ] Please forward this
publication to family and friends, place it on web sites,
print it, duplicate it and post it freely. Knowledge is power!

Organic Bytes is a publication of Organic Consumers Association [
http://www.organicconsumers.org/ ]

6771 South Silver Hill Drive - Finland, MN 55603 - Phone: 218-226-4164 -
Fax: 218-353-7652

You are subscribed as:
Supporter
scotpe...@cruzio.com