MarcoAurelio,

I cannot answer your first question, but I can do the second one:

Right now, all databases are in all servers, but because of the growth
in data, we cannot guarantee that that will be happening forever. You
are free to jump between databases from the command line, but if you
program a script/application from 0, it is safer to disconnect and
connect again, specially if using a separate replication group[0], as
one day, due to contraint of resouces/too much load, we may have to
separate some databases away. As centralauth and meta are both on s7,
separation is even more and more unlikely, but if in the future
something changes, we want to warn in advance (potentially years
ahead).

Whatever is the state of shards, our promise is that you will be able
to use the metadata databases meta_p and information_schema_p to know
if the project you are interested is locally available. Because the
new servers are "new", we are open for feedback and are monitoring
issues to always provide a better service.

In summary, if someone has a script that connects to every single
database and runs some command, the safest option is to connect 7
times to each s* replica set or to specific databases. Heads up also
for the future creation of s8 (and replica set changes), which will
likely happen on the upcoming quarter.

[0] <url:https://noc.wikimedia.org/db.php>

On Thu, Sep 28, 2017 at 10:40 AM, MarcoAurelio <strig...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello Bryan,
>
> So let's say I want to conect to centralauth_p using the new servers. Shall
> I 'sql --cluster=analytics centralauth_p'?
>
> In case I later have to change to another database, would 'use metawiki_p;'
> keep me logged in the new servers as well?
>
> Thanks, M.
>
> El El jue, 28 sept 2017 a las 2:05, Bryan Davis <bd...@wikimedia.org>
> escribió:
>>
>> A new version of the /usr/bin/sql helper script has been deployed
>> today. This version of the script adds an optional "--cluster
>> {analytics,web,labsdb}" cli argument that you can use to choose
>> between the various Wiki Replica servers. The default is the
>> equivalent of "--cluster labsdb" which connects you to the old servers
>> with no changes.
>>
>> If you are not using /usr/bin/sql to query user created tables on
>> c1.labsdb or c3.labsdb, try "sql --cluster analytics DATABASE". This
>> will become the default when the old database cluster is retired in a
>> few months.
>>

>> Not sure what this is all about? Read the blog post on the new Wiki
>> Replica servers:
>>
>> <https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/phame/post/view/70/new_wiki_replica_servers_ready_for_use/>
>>
>> Magnus gave the new servers this glowing review [0]:
>> > Hooray! I have switched most of my tools over, taking care to put
>> > long-running queries (including PetScan queries) on the analytics
>> > server. Initial tests see a ~5x improvement in query time!
>>
>> [0]:
>> https://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/labs-l/2017-September/005077.html
>>
>> Bryan
>> --
>> Bryan Davis              Wikimedia Foundation    <bd...@wikimedia.org>
>> [[m:User:BDavis_(WMF)]] Manager, Cloud Services          Boise, ID USA
>> irc: bd808                                        v:415.839.6885 x6855

> --
> M. A.

Jaime Crespo
<http://wikimedia.org>