Some of you have mentioned "The Borrowers".  A couple of weeks ago I found 
the Penguin "The Complete borrowers" on sale for 20 pence, withdrawn from stock 
but in first class condition.  i bought it and decided to read it right 
through rather than just the one I hadn't read before - "The Borrowers avenged".  

it's years and years and years (i.e. pre lace days) since I read the books 
and in "The Borrowers afield" I found a passing reference to tatting.  They are 
living in the boot and Pod wants to make a fishing net out of horse hair.

"But Pod, though good at knots, had quite a bit of trouble with the 
horse-hair: the long tail strands were springy and would slide from the eye of the 
needle."
......

"....Homily came to Pod's rescue and, working together, they evolved a close 
mesh on the spider-web principle, based on Homily's knowledge of tatting."

Pages 197 and 198 of "The Complete Borrowers"   Penguin, rev. ed. 1994

Presumably/possible Mary Norton was a needle tatter.

Patricia in Wales
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
To unsubscribe send email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] containing the line:
unsubscribe lace-chat [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Reply via email to