I watched the first instalment of That'll Teach'em, there are four more
episodes.  Thirty 16 year olds are at Kings School boarding school.
Life for them for a month is as it was in the early 1950's where there
were no sweats, you saw the pupils eating spam in batter and mashed
Swede.  School uniform, no make up, no earrings.  When the teacher
came into the room you all stood up.  You were only allowed to take
your blazer off in class.  If you had your cap on and you were walking
past a teacher you touched your cap.  It was yes sir, no sir, three
bags full sir.

I did smile at the results of the arithmetic tests, Long subtraction,
multiplication, using a slide rule.  Only 13 passed out of 30,
and the test for the 11 plus as taken in the 50's so we were not
so stupid, yes I can recall what life was like at school then.  The sad
thing then was if you failed your 11 plus you went to Secondary School
where many could not take their GCSE. or School Certificate as I
believe it was then, although you could take an exam to go to
technical college when you were 13. My DH went to tech which
he ended up working for NASA tracking men on the moon, so
although he did not pass the 11 plus he did not do too badly.

If you want to take your exam go to ITV.com then  go to that'll teach'em
and see how you do.

Jean in Newbury UK

unsubscribe lace-chat [EMAIL PROTECTED] For help, write to [EMAIL PROTECTED]