Joy Beeson writes
> Having grown up on graph paper, I'm rather surprised that I didn't have any
> trouble navigating

You should try Canberra, which is built on circular roads.    I was visiting a
doctor there recently, and wanted to visit a friend about a mile away to the
north of the surgery.   But as that involved a maze of roads, I opted for the
simpler route of turning south, and linking up with a major road that would
curve around to the east then back west and end up very close to where I
wanted to go.  According to the street directory, that is.

I never did find the major road, but some 10 minutes later I found myself
at the intersection of the street where I wanted to get to, without ever having
been on the major loop road!  Since then, we've nicknamed my car the
Tardis!

I don't know how many times I've headed out there for somewhere new, and
found myself either suddenly in the heart of the city, or just travelling in
circles.   The place is just like the garden in Alice in Wonderland.  The only
way to get anywhere is to head off in the opposite direction!

Noelene in Cooma
About to tackle Canberra again today - good thing I actually know where
I've got to get to.  A craft shop I only recently found my way to, way on the far
side of Canberra to Cooma, but which is about to close down!  Another craft
shop lost to us.
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://members.ozemail.com.au/~nlafferty/