I thought I would put my two penny worth in this discussion.  I used to work
for the Post Office in the UK have dealt with Foreign Mail, registers, swift
air.
 Foreign Data Post,I know things have changed a lot in the last couple of
years.
So I made a phone call and found out the following.

I have been told it is now Inter Data Post to Australia not registered.  Now
I know that  this will be tracked all the way and it does get priority all
the way.

For the UK it is now Special Delivery, not Registered, this is tracked too.

I was told that there is Inter Signed For, if you are sending mail to
Australia,
this has no special treatment, it is just signed for at receipt of item.

Parcel Post I was told, there is no insurance for any item if it gets lots.

I know that all my mail to Australia gets there quicker than when I send it
the States.  I also find even in Europe it can vary a lot how long my mail
will
take depending again on the country I am sending it too.

Jean