On Sunday, Nov 30, 2003, at 14:19 US/Eastern, Bev Walker wrote:

It was two inch squares of some kind of meat in jelly.

This sounds like something my mother made, which she called 'head cheese.'
If the right amount of salt was in it, it was quite good.
If it didn't gel properly, it wasn't much fun to eat :(

All depends on just how "Polish" the Polish restaurant was... :) The Polish "head cheese" (salceson) and the American one are totally different; about the only thing they have in common is that they're sandwich meats (not meal meats).

Polish has *almost no* jelly; it's all meat (and *only* meat, none of the green/red pepper, and only meat/gristle/fat from the head; no hearts, for example). The mixture is packed -- tightly -- into the stomach lining and tied, then boiled and chilled, then sliced. The tiniest bit of jelly which can be seen is the result of the natural juices and the coagulants in the gristle mixing during boiling. Once chilled, the slices are *solid*, even in the hotest weather -- you could probably play frisbee with them, even if you take the outer rind off <g>. And that's true even of the commercially sold "salceson", not just the home made.

The American head cheese (there's another name for it, but I can't remember what it is) is *at least half* jelly, in addition to having somewhat different ingredients differently processed (more finely chopped); whatever its origin, it's not Polish. I've never had any other than the commercial versions, but imagine that the home made would at least be similiar.

Of course, Canada is still different, so I have no idea what the "head cheese" *there* is like... :)

-----
Tamara P Duvall
Lexington, Virginia,  USA
Formerly of Warsaw, Poland