On Tue, 2 Dec 2003 08:50:45 +1100 (EST), Ruth wrote:
>Jean, here in Australia we must use a hands free when driving.   In practice,
>many drivers do not use a hands free, but they face a hefty fine if caught.
>Many times I've wished I was a policewoman!!!
>
>Now we're trying to face the problem of how to police text-messaging, after a
>young girl, driving at speed and illegally holding her phone to write a text
>message at the same time, hit and killed someone.    Out here  you can go to
>gaol for causing a death in a traffic accident, so at the age of 22, she was
>facing a long time in gaol.  After pleas from the victim's family, she was not
>sent to gaol - a very lucky young lady!

The UK law is more general - it covers text messages as well as phone calls,
also faxes, documents and use of the internet on anything hand held.  There
has been a similar case in England where a driver texting killed a cyclist,
but the UK driver was only given a disqualification.

--
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
William Connor Magee