On our Radio4 on Saturday (couldn't re-listen to it to clarify the detail
until today because they had technical problems) it was reported that a film
is being made about email, and the @ key is now the one most often hit.
Apparently the symbol started life in the middle ages, but it has no
official title. In Holland and South Africa it's referred to as a monkey's
tail, in Russia a little dog, in Sweden a cinnamon roll, and in other places
it has various names including a maggot, a snail and a pickled herring.

I always referred to it as "the at symbol" when it was used in typing
invoices, eg "10 reams of paper @ two pounds. Total 20 pounds."

Jean in Poole