To my more experienced lace friends----------

I have just finished making my first heart from the book "24 Hearts In Bobbin
Lace" and I now have to starch it.  I have starched items before by taking
them off the pillow and then having to re-pin all over again (sometimes not
even putting the pin in every hole).  Now I want some in-put into this please.
Do you remove the item from the pillow first or not?

First one is done and now I have to figure out how to weave them together!!!
EEEKKKKK!

Barbara