Dear Joy,

Grammatically, I've got my choice of underlining "automatically",  saying
"any error in width will automatically be compensated for," or saying
"any error in width will be compensated for automatically."

Plainly, this is the same "error" as "To boldly go" -- but what is it that
has been split?

Your main error there was to END a sentence with a preposition (for) - a real No No!!!! IN fact there is no need for the word "for" at all in your sentence. Aside from that you split the future passive markers (will be) for the verb to compensate with the adverb automatically. Hence, your final effort is better. However, the correct way to say what you intend is:
"any error will be compensated automatically"
Regards
David in Ballarat

Pedantically,
--