Hi All,

For anyone living in Nebraska USA, the Antiques Roadshow will be in Omaha the week-end of July 10.

I work for PBS so can't take items for the show unless I am a volunteer for the event. I volunteered myself and DH. Woohooo! I imagine we'll be really busy, but hope to see all those antiques that don't make the show! We get to take 2 items.

Speaking of antiques. There were 2 antique sales here (lots of vendors gathered in one place), and at the first was an elderly woman who had salvaged tons of lace and other trimmings. I found a 7 yd x 3 inch piece of linen thread bobbin lace for $7 and a small round silk piece with a picture stamped on it and leaf tallies forming flowers all around the edge. It looks like something sold to tourists, maybe Italian. It was very inexpensive. Obviously, she didn't know or care that many of her laces were not only vintage, but hand made as well. She had lots of bobbin lace.

At the second antique sale, was a booth that had lace yardages, trims and vintage wedding gowns, etc. This woman knew what she had, and new the hand made laces from the manufactured. Believe me, the hand made laces were sold as true antique pieces with prices to match. Although I didn't buy any, I was so happy to see them salvaged! There were some luscious yards of bobbin lace.

Now that I know what bobbin lace looks like, I'm seeing lots of it at antique sales. Of course, I have no idea how old any of these laces are, but knowing they're hand made makes them prescious to me.

Mary