On Mon, Jun 07, 2004 at 05:59:02PM +1000, Helene Gannac wrote:
> Weronika wrote:
> >I'm not sure how Tamara's swivel windows work, but the ones we have at
> >home in Poland can open normally (i.e. like doors), and if you twist the
> >handle up they'll open at the top and stay attached at the bottom, but
> >only open a little, so you can leave them like that to get some air but
> >not be cold.  Since all of the opening happens in one direction,
> >mosquito screens should work with those.
>
> Yes, that's how my mother's work too, but then, you can't put Venetian
> blinds inside to keep the sun out, and in Australia, we certainly need
> them!

Hmm.  I'm again not sure what Venetian blinds are, but in our house
there were things called "zaluzje" (Tamara?), which kept the sun out.
I looked at some venetian blind images, and it looks like they're the
same thing, but maybe normally they're mounted on the wall above the
window?  Ours were mounted directly on the window, so they just moved
with it when it opened (unfortunately no longer kept the sun out then).

Weronika