> The knowledge of why members of the family moved is intriguing.  Sometimes

Well, I know why the families - both my husband's parents' - came to
Canada: they followed the call of "Free Land" - of course nothing in life
is free. Granddad paid dearly, had a good job as payroll clerk at the
mine in Darton, YKS, and ended up a farmer who lost everything - due
to a fire -  nine months after setting foot in Canada. All he had was that
'free land' that still had to be cleared to make it suitable for
farming.....

> in England, which may give me the clue I need.  I really do sympathise
with
> those trying to trace their family from outside the UK.

I have not found any problems - except with the size of my wallet ;-(
Where parish registers are accessible on film, I use the facilities of the
Mormons, the Family History Centre.
For certificates, I use FreeBMD where possible (on-line), and the
indices on fiche at the FHC. Then save up my pennies to order them
from England.

> Now as yet, I haven't found a lacemaker in my ancestry - but you can be
sure
> that if I found one, I would follow that link avidly.   I live in hope of

Yes, ditto here. When browsing the 1881 census, I have found a
number of bobbin turners, bobbin winders (probably to do with the
weaving industry, not lace making), and even some lace-makers.
None of them my husband's family though.

> myself with yeomen farmers, miners, workers in the cotton industry,
> shepherds and labourers.

Waterman, joiner, shipwright, boot & shoe dealer, servant, salt worker,
are some of the trades I found amongst the family.

I have the 1881 index here at home - anyone interested how many
bobbin turners, lace workers, lace makers, etc, there were in each
county in England?  Shouldn't be too hard to sort them out...

Greetings from Beautiful British Columbia
Esther Perry