My understanding of copyright is that you are not permitted to *reproduce* something which is in copyright without permission. In UK, if you own a book, you are allowed to make copies for your own personal use, which means that if the book shows a short length of lace pattern you can make several copies to go around a roller pillow, or make 4 copies of a corner to make a square, plus the (enlarged) working copy which you doodle over etc.

Reproduction of a lace pattern, or a dressmaking pattern, could be by photocopying, photography (film or digital), electronic scanning, tracing or skilled detailed drawing. Reproduction of a cookery recipe, or instructions for making the lace or dress could be by photocopying, photography (film or digital), electronic scanning, writing, typing, word processing or audio recording.

Using the pattern/recipe to make a piece of lace, a dress or a cake is not reproduction of the original, but using the original as a tool. I can't see that your own photo of the lace you have made, the dress you have sewn, or the cake you have baked is a breach of copyright if you choose to publish it on a personal website.

I design most of my own lace patterns, or if I use someone else's it is generally adapted quite a bit. That's because I like being creative and get more satisfaction from working my own designs. Over the years I've made a few pennies from selling BL patterns, but the financial return in consideration of the hours spent designing and making is very minimal. I also know that a lot of people will "share" patterns - 'we'll buy one each and make copies'. Whilst that's illegal it's hardly worth making a fuss about. Only if I saw someone selling my patterns without permission would I get upset. If I go to a lace day and see one of my designs on a pillow, or finished and on display I get a kick of pride knowing that I designed it, and I take it as a compliment that someone else liked the pattern enough to make it up.

Brenda
http://www.argonet.co.uk/users/paternoster/