David, I'm so glad your problm is sorted out.

DH also smoked until he had a heart attack. He smoked the day before the
attack, but the following day he'd stopped. He hasn't smoked one or wanted
one since.

We both know exactly what you mean by nicotine being harder to come off than
narcotics. I also smoked - 20-30 a day from age 16 (when it was the
fashionable thing to do with my four inch long cigarette holder with a ring
of diamante round it!), and tried several times unsuccessfully to stop.
Being a teacher of 14 to 16 year-olds, I could smoke two cigarettes in a ten
minute break to get a big enough shot of nicotine to get me through the next
hour with some of them.

When I knew I was going to retire at age 54, I decided that I wouldn't need
the nicotine once I wasn't teaching any more and I had four months of
knowing when my retirement date was. The last cigarette I smoked was just
before I walked out of the smoking room in the school for the last time. I
haven't touched one, and haven't wanted one, since.

I'm not one of those smug "I did it, so can you" types, and I don't think
anyone who hasn't been addicted to it knows just how hard it is to give up.
I think I was very fortunate that my plan worked.

Hope all continues to go well.

Jean in Poole