On Tuesday, November 16, 2004, at 09:19  PM, Ruth Budge wrote:

Oh dear!  I shouldn't have thrown mine away, should I?

You certainly shouldn't have. It was a life-saver when I lived in Montreal and lasted for a week without heat or light in -20C, after an ice-storm. It's amazing what you can cook on the burner with a little frying pan and the pot meant for beef fondue. And when the inside of your house hovers around the freezing mark, the fuel doesn't evaporate from the burner, so it lasts forever. I even made scallops in a Pernod and cream sauce (before the cream went off. There was no problem keeping food from the freezer. I just put it outside. The problem was thawing it.). Since then, I've always kept lots of fuel on hand and canned items that can be heated on the burner. It was very useful, here in Halifax, during the hurricane last year.

I also had a chafing dish of the same vintage, but it was useless. The can of sterno may be very good for keeping food warm, but it was useless for cooking it. The can just didn't last long enough. So the chafing dish didn't get moved to Halifax.

The moral of this tale is: Never throw out your fondue burner. I guess there's another moral too: don't follow me around - I seem to attract disasters. LOL.

Margot Walker in Halifax on the east coast of Canada