On Nov 19, 2004, at 23:44, Joy Beeson wrote:

Perhaps it would be better to ask for measurements of his trousers.

*Definitely* the best idea... The fashion trends (at the waist, on the hips, half-way-down-the-butt) vary almost from locality to locality, and many teenagers want to stay "hip" - within their community. Even those who do not, tend to have pretty strong ideas about what they like (when my son was a teenager, he didn't care about the current fashion, but the waistband had to be "just so", as did the length of the inseam, as did the depth of the pockets - for goodness sake! - and the weight of the denim, and who knows what else...). Anything that didn't meet the requirements *precisely* got a "thanks, Mama", and was shoved to the back of the closet, with "it wasn't comfortable" offered as an explanation when I asked why I saw some of the pants in the laundry daily and some not at all.

Since I did exactly the same thing as a teenager, I couldn't even blame him... :)

---
Tamara P Duvall             http://lorien.emufarm.org/~tpd