> PS When you use the box irons at Williamsburg, how do you sprinkle the
> fabrics (linen and cotton) which require steam?

My family, Grandmother and Aunts, always had a sauce(ketchup) bottle with a
couple of small holes in the lid. Things were sprinkled with water and
rolled up so that the water generally distributed through the whole garment.
I like the spitting idea. Very resourceful. I never would have imagined that
it would be done that way.

Cheers, Yvonne.