At 08:25 AM 12/17/04 +0100, Eva Von Der Bey wrote:

> none of my dictionaries knows about
> "moly".

I once read a fantasy story in which instructions for a magical spell began
"pick a sprig of moly", so I assume its an herb or plant of some kind.

The story was sort of a feghoot -- the denouement was that the spell
wouldn't work because there was a misprint in it -- one was supposed to
*lick* a sprig of moly.

Feghoot:  there was once a series of filler-length stories called "Through
Time and Space with Ferdinand Feghoot", each of which ended in an atrocious
pun.  Like the one where Ferdinand was called to a chicken-raising planet
that was asymmetrical -- the light-gravity side was noted for broilers, and
the heavy-gravity side was noted for eggs.  He solved their
radio-communication problem by putting a hen in orbit -- thereby providing
them with a heavy-side layer.  (I gather that radio waves bounce off the
Heaviside Layer in our atmosphere.)

---------------

No wonder it wasn't in your dictionaries!  Mine says that moly is a mythical
herb with a black root and milk-white flowers that Hermes gave to Odysseus.

It also says that a European wild garlic that is cultivated for its yellow
flowers has been named after it.

???  Man, English don't make no sense.  At least they are both herbs.
Though I don't think that a wild garlic would have sprigs to pick *or* lick.
So the characters must have had a source of the mythical plant.

--
Joy Beeson
http://home.earthlink.net/~joybeeson/