To respond to the comment:

>  I find it hard to imagine that children
who can
> write and do math can't put on gloves...

Manual dexterity and computation skills aren't necessarily equal at a
given age, or even at any age (one could say they don't always go hand in
glove - ack!). Some children who can read and write can put on gloves -
others cannot - and some choose not to...

;)

cheers
Bev in Sooke, BC (on Vancouver Island, west coast of Canada)
Cdn. floral bobbins and New Christmas Bobbin
www.woodhavenbobbins.com