Moved to chat because my response has nothing to do with lace:

My mother complained once that she'd never been allowed to ride her
brother's motorcycle.  By the time she had the money to buy her own, she was
too brittle to risk it.  One of her grandsons got the motor-biking gene, but
I settle for my pedal bike.  Cranking down a quiet country lane is great for
thinking things over.

And I like to sing, but can't carry a tune in a basket.  On the bike, nobody
can catch me to complain!

I majored in math in college, but can't call myself a mathemetician.  And I
don't make lace.  Haven't even tatted in years.  But my default knitting
needles are 1.5 mm, and I do a lot of point de Venise on the heels of socks.
(That's the name of a darning style; it may or may not be related to a lace
of the same name.)

Someone once posted a picture of an elegant tatted motorcycle on the Web;
even if it's still there, I no longer remember enough to Google for it.

--
Joy Beeson