On Apr 27, 2005, at 6:36, Ann McClean wrote:

Advice, please, on how to remove the residue from sticky labels from a pair of melamine salt & pepper shakers. The paper has soaked away, but the sticky gunge left behind is proving stubborn :(

In the US, we have a product called "Goo Gone". The warnings are: against swallowing and against usin near heat sources> Nice, citrus smell, but oily (contains petroleum distillates), so needs a follow-up with plain water and soap. Works a treat (not only on label stickum but on just about anything sticky, including tree sap), and doesn't harm plastics (which nail-polish remover might, if it contains acetone).

I'm sure something similiar (though, probably, under another name) is available in the UK as well - look in places like Boots, in the same area as other "particular" cleaning supplies (around silver polish and such)
--
Tamara P Duvall http://t-n-lace.net/
Lexington, Virginia, USA (Formerly of Warsaw, Poland)