> English got its habit of French interjections from a little event in 1066 --
> but where did Polish pick it up?

Several centuries later...  Around baroque, I think, maybe?  My history is
pretty bad, but I remember French was very fashionable for a while.

> Do you also have latin stock phrases?  (e.g.:   etc., i.e., q.v., Q.E.D.,
> gustabis non disputandem est, habeus corpus, quid pro quo, carpe diem, . . . )

Yes, we do, although not as many as in English.  We had very little contact with
actual Romans, so these come from the Middle Ages, when Latin was the "learned"
language.

There is some German, too, unsurprisingly.  And I'm sure there are lots of
influences from other Slavic languages, but these are hard to pick out.
Ah, and Italian, too, from when one of our kings married an Italian woman and
she introduced things like cauliflower ;-)

Weronika

--
            Weronika Patena
        Caltech, Pasadena, CA, USA